1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

BT-99 Shooting to the left. What's the fix?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Tracer, Jan 29, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tracer

Tracer Member

I have a BT-99 that shoots about 6 inches to the left on the patterning board. I changed chokes thinking maybe that was causing some of the problem but that didn't help. I am using Briley plus chokes. Even the factory chokes shoot the same. It has an adjustable comb, which I moved over to the right and that helped a little but now the front end of the comb hits my hand and isn't very comfortable. I was wondering if maybe I needed to get the barrel bent. Thanks, Del

2. BT-100dc

BT-100dc Active Member

Check to make sure you're lined up (Figure 8) with the front & center sight. Make sure the front sight is straight. Try bench resting the gun on sand bags at the rifle range; squeeze the trigger like a rifle and shoot 10 shells slowly at the target approx. 30-32 yards. This should weed out any errant shots and big holes will appear where the pattern is greatly concentrated. Now if the gun shoots straight, it's you. I hate to admit it but I shoot almost everthing a little high to the left a little whether it be a rifle, shotgun or pistol. Darrell

3. buddy123

buddy123 Guest

First of all we need to know your distance from the pattern board.
    Pete-Canada

4. JACK

JACK Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

Pop the primer out of a spent 20 ga hull and stuff it into the choke end of bbl and see if the "rings" are conccentric. If they are uneven it could be the bbl is bent but if they are strate then likely th e rib is misaligned.

Do a TS.com Search on "Seehase Peeps"

5. Shady Creek

Shady Creek TS Member

You could send it to Jim Greenwood in Augusta,Kansas and have him bend the stock. That ought to do it.......GOOD LUCK

6. jm1079

jm1079 Well-Known Member

try shooting with one eye when you pattern just to eliminate the possibility of your left eye taking over and seeing your aimpoint. jm

7. zzt

zzt Well-Known Member

If you are going to follow MIA's suggestion, this will be easier to see. Deprime a 20 ga hull and cut all the plastic off of it. You are left with just the brass and a primer hole. Put this in the tightest choke it will fir in with the back of the shell facing out. Deprime a 12 ga shell and inset into the chamber. Point the barrel directly at a strong light source and look at the concentric light and dark rings. If they are round and each ring is the same thickness all the way around, you have a pretty straight barrel.

I had the same problem as you with my Superposed and Beretta. Both had adjustable combs, but I couldn't move them far enough over to correct. I had a stock made for my new gun with much more offset and cast off, and the problem is cured. I the barrel is right, I think you would be better off having the stock bent to fit you better rather than bending the barrel. Just my opinion.

8. Tracer

Tracer Member

Thanks,
    I was shooting from a bench rest over a sand bag at the club. I shot 5 from 20ys and 5 from 30yds. I did shoot with one eye, lining up the beads one under the other and just squeased of the shot like I was target shooting with my rifle. Sat the bull on top of the front site. About 60% of the shot was under the bull and to the left. I am taking it out to a gunsmith friend of mine right now and see what he thinks. Thanks for all the info. Del

9. JACK

So why'd you ask us? I bet we know more than your gunsmith. Ah! that 's right we are to "hell and gone" from tracer-ville.

Good luck. If that does nto work PM me and I'll work you thrue this. Been there, done that.

jack

Call me if and when you want a 3rd party advice when you are at the "smith"

800-344-4840

10. Jawhawker

Jawhawker TS Member

Just incase the local smithy gives you an answer you don't like or don't want to accept then have Briley make tubes to adjust the pattern to your desire POI. It sounds likely that its the threads which is very common causing this problem.

11. country gentleman

country gentleman Member

Dont do anything until you try a different brand ammo. Youd be astonished how many guns simply wont shoot some brands at certain speeds. Most will shoot anything fairly well. Had a beretta in for fitting last year. Patterned every shot 6in right. Changed shell to 1oz Rem and watched that gun tear the middle out of the target. This was not a fitting issue. Or a choke problem. The gun simply would not throw a straight pattern using an Estate shell. Not saying that you gun is doing the same, just worth checking before you bend a barrel. My gun patterns the estate 1oz quite nicely. Todd

12. Tracer

Tracer Member

Thanks Jack and all the rest. My old gunsmith suggested sending it to Briley to have the chokes made for the barrel. I want to try different brands of ammo first. The "smith" noticed that the choke tubes fit kind of loosely and I noticed they won't stay tight for more then a box of shells, so there may be a problem there. My other brownings have no problems with the chokes getting loose if I lube and tighten them properly. I will try the 20/12 guage test and see how the rings look. I really do appriciate all the great info from everyone. Thanks for the PM Jack. Del

13. Holeinmypattern

Holeinmypattern TS Member

Just stick the barrel into you reciever hitch on your pickup and bend it to the right! Just kidding, but I actually saw a guy do that to his gun during a shoot! I decided then and there I would NEVER buy a gun from that guy or ask his advice! -John

14. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

Sell it but not to a friend. The next owner might find it shoots 6" to the right!!

15. BT-100dc

BT-100dc Active Member

Find a buyer who naturally shoots to the right. This is not advice it's just adding a little humor. Hopefully you get the problem fixed. Come to think of it, if you bought the gun new, maybe try to contact Browning and see if they'll fix it for you free. I may be dreaming but perhaps they would do the right thing and fix it. I would personally talk to a supervisory technician and not deal with the front people. I've done that before and they were anxious to satisfy me. I also told the technician that I have other Browning guns (never had these quality problems before) and I believe it was a quality issue that originated from the factory. I was the original owner and I thought they handled the problem to my satisfaction. If you end up sending it to Browning, make sure you have removed the release trigger if the gun has been altered. That's a show stopper if you have a release trigger in the gun. Good luck, Darrell

16. Dirtyharry357Mag

Dirtyharry357Mag Member

had the very same thing with my 90-T ..
    every one said try shooting like this.. try shooting like that.. sandbags.. from 12 yrds. from 40 yrds... with one eye.. with a mirror over the shoulder..

Move the stock.. But It still did not shoot at the POA (point of aim)..
    It was 4 inches left @ 20yrds.
    Kerry Allor fixed it by moving the choke over,boring the barrel to the the choke and moving the forceing cones to the barrel.. all said and done..
    It shoots 95% of patern in a 30" 75% high at 35yrds with a 5 shot group. And smokes targets with less felt recoil..
    Thank you Kerry, Job Well Done

17. Jawhawker

Jawhawker TS Member

Tracer, just letting you know that if you do send the barrel to Briley they will ask how much and in what direction you want the tube/tubes moved in inches. Thus, make absolutely sure before spending the money that it needs this done.

18. Tracer

Tracer Member

I kind of like the idea of buying a new one! I'll check with the war department and see if that is a good enough excuse. Can't have too many trap guns around you know. I think I will do some more testing before doing anything drastic. Thanks, Del

By the way, as far as bending the barrel go's. When I was 14 my dad gave me an old 16 ga mod 870 that had a noticable wrinkle about half way down the barrel. I asked him about it and he said my grandfather had "streigtened" the barrel in the crotch of an elm tree before I was born. I killed my first deer with that gun out by salt plains game refuge. Had 16 points. It would have been a nice one to mount but I blew off one of the antlers when he was trying to get back up after the first shot knocked him down.

19. JACK

Last time I referred to my wife as the "War Department", the
    "war department" said that would be the last time.

But the scheme works. My preference is to trade it to cabelas and run like hell and not look at their gun library for 6 mo.

20. phirel

phirel TS Member

Tracer- You stated that your choke tubes fit a little loose and will not stay thigh for more than one box of shells. When a proper fitting tube is put in by hand as tight as it will go, the wrench used for final tightening should not turn the tube more than 1/32" or less. A tube should never become loose with use. I do not change choke tubes. I leave my full choke tube in for 2-3 years. I only remove it for lubrication. I never check it during the 2-3 year time it is in place.

You need to see Briley. Tell them the problem and they will come up with the proper correction.

Cutting threads inside or around the outside of a tube is simple. I have all of the tools to do that. Cutting threads so that the two parts remain absolutely straight is not simple. I would never try to do that.

Pat Ireland

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.