1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

BT-99 Shooting low

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Frye, May 15, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Frye

Frye TS Member

We've All Done IT!! Now I regret it.
    I was walking thru a gun store last Thursday hunting down a case of Winchester primers and I deep in the used gun rack I spotted a BT-99 Conventional. Nothing fancy about this gun.. in fact, it's pretty darn plain looking. It is in great condition, Checkering still sharp, bluing looks new 34" barrel,extractors and Invector plus chokes.. I put it back on the racks and went about my business of finding the W209's and I ALMOST made it out of the shop without buying the gun.
    I shot the gun the folling Saturday at a trap club that is notorious for low scores. I shot average with it and liked the way the gun handled. I shoot a Wednesday night league so before shooting yesterday, I shot the gun at the pattern board at the club and was HORRIFIED with what I saw. 50/50 at best on POI. I covered every target that night and shot a straight on the first round and a 22 from the 20 yard line. I'm dropping right hand targets with it. I think the POI is screwing with my head.
    I would like to know if there is a way to get this to shoot higher. I'm used to a higher shooting gun. I didn't get a screaming deal on this gun so I won't take much to go in the hole on modifications. Is there something I can do with this to get a higher POI? I just know I'm not going to be comfortable covering up my targets. I need to see 'em all the time!

As always, I appreciate your time and advice.

Frye

2. Jawhawker

Jawhawker TS Member

Bend the barrel..

3. ec90t

ec90t Guest

Frye,

I would contact Vickie Keen and let her know what POI you would like and let her build you a add-on rib. Needless to say, you'll need an adjustable comb to compinsate for the higher rib.

The other way is to have Briley build you a higher POI choke tube. This also brings to mind to check your exsiting choke tube for proper alignment.

Lastly, you could have a qualified gunsmith do a little barrel bending to get the desired POI.

ec90t

4. Frye

Frye TS Member

Not a bad Idea... but I think I'd rather just sell it if I have to get that extreme with it.

5. Frye

Frye TS Member

ec90.. I didn't think of that, I'll try and track down how to get a hold of Vickie. I don't want to get into bending the barrel. I'd rather sell it to someone who likes flat shooters. I do have an adjustable comb in the works. My smith ordered the parts for that. It patterns great. It has Briley extended chokes and IM is what I'm shooting now, I think it would be a great shooter for me if I can get to a 60/40 70/30 POI.

6. Jawhawker

Jawhawker TS Member

Frye, Brilley can build a tube to shoot a higher POI for you. The last I had made I believe was $60.00.

7. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

That is a standard w/Browning, shooting low.

8. Jollytrapshooter

Jollytrapshooter Member

It could also have to do with the way you mount the gun. I have a BT-99 as well with an adjustable comb, which I have all the way up and it still only shoots maybe 60/40. JMO, Josh.

9. JJJ

JJJ TS Member

Go with the Keenesight rib,after talking with Vickie. Then with an adjustable stock, your problem is solved.

10. jsteenson

jsteenson Member

try putting a layer on the comb to raise it,you'll see more rib and the point of impact should raise.experiment with this,it is the cheepest way and efficient Jack

11. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Here is a $4.00 fix. Buy a package of Dr. Scholls Moleskin. Cut it in 1" wide strips. Place one strip at a time on the top of the comb until the gun is shooting high enough. HMB

12. N. J. BOB

N. J. BOB Active Member

Dande Jack has it right, I would get $5.00 worth of mole skin and keep putting one on top of the other until you get the POI that you want.

13. JerryP

JerryP Active Member

What does your sight picture look like? How high is your front sight in the picture?

14. Duck

Duck Member

Dande + HMB have it!. Build it up with layers until it shoot's the way you know how.
    You can also cover it with colored vinyl tape when you reach your final height
    makes it waterproof I shot one for years like that, fugly but the target's did'nt know or care.

15. mike b.

mike b. Member

Raise the comb and ignore the bead space. See:
    http://www.classicusc.com/Recoil_Buttstock_Barrel_Accessories_s/127.htm

It shows all heights of pads. You'll probably need at least 1/4 inch. mb

16. mike b.

mike b. Member

I'd pick the D&E Slimside one........mb

17. Browning Man

Browning Man TS Member

I had Keensights put an adj. rib on my 99, it shoots high now 70/30, 80/20, and 90/10.

18. gslam

gslam TS Member

Find a sucker and dump it on him all 99's shoot low.

19. WesleyB

WesleyB Well-Known Member

Just make the comb higher or raise your head. But raise your head the same every time LOL

20. kraiza

kraiza Active Member

Yes add mole skin to the stock to get the POI you want. Then add a rocker recoil pad. This was the best piece I put on my gun.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

browning bt 99 shooting low