1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

BT-99 shooting low ?????

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by DaveJ, Sep 6, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DaveJ

DaveJ TS Member

Just bought a new BT-99. Thought BT-99's were supposed to shoot high, but this one has a point of impact three inches below point of aim at twenty yards.

Visually everything looks OK. Maybe defective manufacture? Any suggestions?

Dave Jones

2. td_ict_ks

td_ict_ks TS Member

start with getting rid of the factory choke tubes, if it has them, and buy a couple of good aftermarket tubes and see what happens.

3. wayneo

wayneo Active Member

Were you shooting off a rest? I would try a different choke tube too.

Wayne

4. DecalDude

DecalDude Active Member

adjustable comb?

5. Chipmaker

Chipmaker Active Member

Personally I have not ever thought of a standard BT as a high shooting gun. With out adjustable rib and comb I feel they should usually dead flat.

6. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Aim higher???? Ok beat me up now...somebody was gonna say it though.

7. Sky Buster

Sky Buster Sky Buster TS Supporters

I've had two and they both shot about 50-60% high.

8. Borderland

Borderland Member

Most BTs with the flat beavertail type forearm do not generally shoot much if any above the point of aim. Most BTs with larger competion type forearm seem to shoot above the point of aim. There are always exceptions due to manufacturing differences and gun fit. I have had both types and this has been my experience.

Ken

9. DaveJ

DaveJ TS Member

Can't believe how many replies in just a few hours. This is a great website and I thank you all.

I had done a search on trapshooters.com and many talked about the problem of BT-99's shooting too high, so a gun that shoots below POA seemed strange.

To answer some of the comments: Shot from shoulder, not rest, but shot several targets to even out randoms, and all were low. Replaced Browning choke with a Rhino from my XT Trap,and same result, so it's the gun, not the choke. It doesn't have an adjustable rib.

Possible cause: When I bought the gun, the dealer installed an Invector LM choke by mistake (instead of Invector Plus.) That choke self-destructed in one round of trap, and it took herculean effort for him to get it out. Dealer replaced it with an Invector Plus, said there was no barrel damage, and sent me home. Does anyone think that might have damaged the barrel and caused a low POI?

Thanks again for all the suggestions so far.

Dave Jones

10. kraiza

kraiza Active Member

I had two BT99. Both shot about 60/40 kinda flat shooting guns. You have raise the comb to make then shoot higher.

11. oskerspap12

oskerspap12 Active Member

Get a adjustable comb ...............problem solved

12. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

I have seen more than 1 BT99 (new style) returned to Browning for this issue. They all were warrented by Browning (new guns sent to owners). This isn't a common problem, but a known issue.

I'd call Brownings customer service and proceed from there.

ss

13. senior smoke

senior smoke Well-Known Member

Before you possibly consider to send it back to Browning, try this first. Place a empty soda can or empty shell box about 20 yards in front of you. Fire at the middle of the can or box. If the gun shoots low, you will see a long streak in the grass before the can. If the gun shoots high, the long streak in the grass will be behind the can. If you hit the can, the gun shoots dead on. Vic Reinders told me this was the way most shooters patterned guns years ago. It's fast & simple, and at no cost to you. I have owned over 30 bt99's, old style, new style, etc. I have never seen a bt99 shoot low. If your gun does shoot actually low, send it back to Browning, as anything is possible. After you shoot at the can, try a round on targets. I once had a gun shot the worst patterns I ever saw. When I took it out to the club to shoot, it ate up targets with absolute authority.
    Good luck,
    Steve Balistreri

14. JerryP

JerryP Active Member

You say the gun shoots 3" below the POA at 20yds. It should shoot closer to 3" above the POA at 20yds with a figure 8 sight picture.

What exactly happened when the choke "self-destructed in one round of trap." Are you sure there is no damage?

15. grntitan

I'd find a new gun dealer as well. I didn't read that in your 2nd post until JerryP mentioned it. That mistake with chokes should not have happened. Thats the kind of crap that can be dangerous. I would agree with JerryP and have the gun checked out. I'm guessing the choke mishap construed the choke threads and your chokes are now at an angle downwards causing it to shoot low. I'd go back to the dealer and have him get it fixed. Its not Brownings fault, its the dealer.----Matt

16. BT-99MAX

BT-99MAX Member

Dave: What I can't figure out is how your Gun Dealer even got the Invector choke tube threaded in the gun at all. The Invector tubes are considerably shorter than the Invector Plus tubes. I wouldn't have much faith in a dealer with that amount of limited knowledge about guns.

17. grntitan

Can you say forced the choke in. That should have been a dead giveaway that something wasn't right. GEEZ

18. 47bt99

47bt99 TS Member

The Invector choke is a lot shorter than the Invector Plus. I would suggest taking a look at the threads in the barrel for damage.

Bob

19. JerryP

JerryP Active Member

Don't they come from the factory with the choke tube already installed and the empty choke container packed in the box?

20. Jack Frost

Jack Frost TS Member

I have had many BT99's over the years. I still shoot my first BT99 that I ordered new in 1970. It shoots flat but not low. I have had others over the years that shot high and some that shot very high, but again never any that shot low as you describe. I suspect your dealer is behind this problem and he should make it right with you. All the best.

J.F.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

browning bt 99 point of impact

browning bt99 shooting low

bt-99 shooting pattern
haveing to aim low trap shooting withing my bt99 pluse
low point of aim

shooting low with bt99

what is the average point of impact when shooting a browning bt99 shotgun

why does my bt99 shoot low