1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

BT-99 Sheared Off (post 2000 versions)

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Rem870TB, Mar 31, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rem870TB

Rem870TB Active Member

I am looking for some comments on this; I have read reports of the new BT-99's, made after 2000, having their fore end screws shear off.

Saw this on the thread "Browning factory repair turnaround time?" and it prompted me to ask the question.

I know there have been some changes, besides cosmetic, to the BT compared to the 1990's and older version; extractor only, trigger system, and to the fore end iron, to name a few.

I have a 2005 manufacture BT bought NIB in 2007, I have had some other problems w/it but not with the fore end.

Just wondering if this problem is very common and if it has been addressed on the latest production guns.

2. arend003

arend003 Member

Had the for arm on both mine and my wife's BT's loosen due to the wood screw, had it replaced with a threaded insert and machine screw and no more problems.
    Tom

3. Rem870TB

Rem870TB Active Member

Tom, thanks for the input.

Do you happen to know what manufacturing year they are?

Mine's a 2005 and hasn't had any problems w/the fore end, maybe I just lucked out.

4. dds4horse

dds4horse Member

I started a thread on here a few days ago about my BT-99 screws shearing off where I took to have fixed sent back to browning. Apperently its a common problem. mine is a 2006.

5. Rem870TB

Rem870TB Active Member

Yeah

That's the thread.

I am looking at the possibility of getting a new BT-99 Golden Clays but don't want to drop that kind of coin and have a problem like that.

If you have seen my post from this morning on that thread, it will explain why.

6. DecalDude

DecalDude Active Member

Yes very common pproblem happened to mine and friends both had threaded inserts put in and no more problem.

The old guns had long screw from front to back that held everything together nice. New design new problem apparently enough people are haveing it fixed on their own that Browning isnt fixing the flaw.

BTW sold that gun and got old 1979 one and customized it lot more fun lol

Jerry Lewis

7. timberfaller

timberfaller Well-Known Member

Bean counters have done more damage to a good product then they ever have saved a company in cost cutting!!

8. Ahab

Ahab Well-Known Member

Friend of mine had the same problem ... after he got them out, he rethreaded the holes and put in better screws. End of problem!

9. Rem870TB

Rem870TB Active Member

"Bean counters have done more damage to a good product then they ever have saved a company in cost cutting!!"

Sad, but VERY true.

That long screw that went to the front of the fore end held things together on the old one's, someone came up with a money saving "improvement"

I would rather have paid a bit more for the gun and had them keep that screw in the assembly.

10. OhioGal

OhioGal Member

I have a 2005 Golden Clay and that also happended with mine, the other thing that happened was the forend has a small hairline crack because of the forend loosening. I knew something was wrong, but could not figure it out till it was too late.

Deb

11. Rem870TB

Rem870TB Active Member

OhioGal

That's disappointing to hear, too bad that happened.

It also isn't real encouraging and account since I am looking at the possibility of a BT-99 Golden Clays, myself.

It sure sounds like they should have left that long screw in the fore end design that went from the fore end iron to the front of the fore end, like the older one's have.

12. coling

coling Member

I had my 2004? new to me BT-99 serviced earlier this year. The gunsmith (Karl McKnight) in Salt Lake City cautioned me to check and tighten the screws in the forend every time I removed it.

He said that if I had problems removing it fireend, stop and bring the gun to him.

He has a fix he has done for several BT-99's. He shoots a BT-99 himself.

Colin

13. bowhunting11

bowhunting11 TS Member

i dont understand why people buy new BT's

14. Blueraven81

Blueraven81 TS Member

This is just another thing that needs to be looked at when the gun is broken down.

My Son's screw is loose often. I put a phillips screwdriver in his gun case. Prior to every shoot he just takes a look at it.

It's really no big deal as long as you keep an eye on it.

Yea, it shouldn't happen in the first place, but it's certainly not something that should prevent someone from buying a BT-99.

Other than the screw, I've been pleased with the gun.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.