1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

BT 99 Recoil

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Mike K P, Jul 24, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mike K P

Mike K P Member

I really like the simplicity of a break open single barrel but recoil is an issue with me. For the money an older BT 99 seems like a good choice. I understand about stock fit and recoil but are the BT 99's generally considered as hard recoilers and are they light guns? I'd like one of the older high shooters. Any input anyone has would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Mike.

2. hunter44

hunter44 Well-Known Member

Go for it! A BT-99 is a great trap gun.......the fact that it is cheaper than most break open guns is just a bonus.

3. hoffman06

hoffman06 Member

Mike try one of the Slick Slide Recoil Systems and your recoil problem will all but go away. My son at at age 14 was shooting one on his BT 100 and had no problem. Check out www.slickslide.vpweb.com.
    Carey

4. Spanky

Spanky Active Member

If you will mostly be shooting 16 yd. targets there is plenty of reload options to reduce recoil. Or factory featherlite type shells. Proper fit will also make a difference.

Is the older style BT's known to kick harder than the more current ones with the backbore? A noticeable amount more?

5. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Recoil is for pansies!!!!!!!

6. Browning Man

Browning Man TS Member

I have never herd of the Slick Slide until this post, I looked at there website and they look very affordable.

Hoffman06: How is there product, do you have one, if so how do you like it?

7. bigdogtx

bigdogtx Well-Known Member

Browningman,,,,look through the threads for one about railroad,,,,the slick slide is on sale right now...

8. cpd544

cpd544 Member

I just shot 100 with my BT-99 last Thursday and I love it. I would have shot more if it had not started pouring rain. It is a great gun for the money and I don't think recoil is an issue at all. I use the 32 inch modified barrel mostly, it swings great and only misses when I make a mistake :)

9. Mike K P

Mike K P Member

Hey grntitan, Don't you mean recoil isn't for pansies.....?

10. grntitan

mikekp---Hell i don't know? Does that make sense? You know what i meant anyway right?

11. jm1079

jm1079 Well-Known Member

I have the old style bt-99, where I had the forcing cone lengthened and polished, installed a Limbsaver recoil pad and put an 11 oz mercury recoil reducer inside the stock. With 7/8 oz loads, the gun is a joy to shoot. Hope this helps. JM

12. grntitan

Mike--My 15 year old is skin and bones and has shot a BT99 for three years with 1 1/8 ounce loads with nothing more than a Kick EEZ pad. He has never complained about recoil.----Matt

13. Mike K P

Mike K P Member

Thanks for all the answers. Grntitan, I know what you mean I was just having a little fun. You're right this recoil issue makes me feel like a pansie. I guess I just used to be tougher.....younger..? Have a good one.
    Mike.

14. hoffman06

hoffman06 Member

To answer Browning Mans question, I have a Slick Slide on my Ljutic and an 870. Recoil never bothered me much but had a stroke and lost 100 lbs so it is a factor now. The sale they have going on is a good deal.
    Carey

15. Trappy12

Trappy12 Active Member

I've shot a BT since I was in 8th grade. Never once had a problem with recoil. Never feel it, it doesn't bother me one bit. Absolutely great gun. You can spend a whole lot more money on a gun, but not get that much better of a gun.
    -Trappy

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.