1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

BT-99 Question

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by abigbear, Jul 18, 2013.

1. abigbear

abigbear Member

Is the BT-99 plus that much better than a standard BT-99? What is a BT-99 Max? Looking to buy one for the girlfriend to shoot.

Thanks,
    Bruce

2. Stl Flyn

Stl Flyn Well-Known Member

The BT-99 Plus had the recoil reduction system, and I believe an adjustable rib. The BT-99 Max was basically the BT-100 before its time. Slightly different configurations.

The recoil reduction system on the BT-99 Plus will have varying opinions, as to its quality.

3. Nick_N

Nick_N Member

I have a Plus. Has adjustable comb and rib. The recoil device probably could have been better, but I got use to it and was never bothered by it. I recently started shooting a 90T, but The plus is an awesome gun and I always shot it well.

4. abigbear

abigbear Member

That's what I thought, I would just replace the stock recoil device with a Gracoil. Aslong as I can get a plus for a good price. Does anyone know when the plus were produced?

Bruce

5. Nick_N

Nick_N Member

Early 90's I believe. Uses invector plus chokes and mine came ported.

6. jm1079

jm1079 Well-Known Member

Browning made the BT-99 Plus Micro with a 30 inch barrel and a shorter stock just FYI. JM

7. Hookedonshooting

Hookedonshooting TS Member

Early 90's is correct. Have had a 04' std bt, plus, a 100, and a beautiful 99 stainless. After all said and done wish i had the std back. Fit fit and the poi was where i shoot. probaly 65/35. the 100 and SS shot flat as shit. make sure if you go that route get a later model std bt thats comes back bored. less recoil. jmho

8. GW22

GW22 Active Member

I believe every BT-100 was backbored. Even if some weren't, nobody alive could consistently tell the difference from felt recoil.

-Gary

9. luvtrapguns

luvtrapguns Well-Known Member

I recently bought a BT-99+ in very good condition. I took it apart, including the recoil device, cleaned and lubed as required, and reassembled. I installed a Kick EEZ pad along with a 1/2" tapered pitch spacer. Out at the range I was completely puzzled after the first few shots. The birds broke but the gun seemed to not fire. Thats how soft it is on felt recoil. As soft or softer than anything I have tried, and I have tried most including those that cost more than many nice guns. The Browning recoil device has had a lot of bad press, especially here on TS. I say BS!!! This reducer is a two stage spring affair. I see very little to wear out. Even so, a replacement spring/tube ass'y is only $56. The Browning reducer certainly reduces felt recoil with greater effect than my PFS, Graycoil, or Countercoil. Try it, you will like it. Marc