1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

BT 99 problem

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by hoofty43, Aug 2, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hoofty43

hoofty43 TS Member

I bought a used BT 99 a few months ago. Looks like new and shoots great,but here is the problem. The adjustable comb when set, will not stay locked in or tight. Keeps coming out of adjustment. The lock is at the butt end of the stock. I am carefull not to overtighten the lock screw. I would like to take the comb off for inspection and place spacers under it. Also would like to inspect the lock screw. Is it possable to take this assembly apart without any hope of getting it properly together again? Or can it be taken apart and inspected?

2. Jollytrapshooter

Jollytrapshooter Member

To answer your question; yes, you can pull the comb off. I also have a newer BT with the factory adjustable comb. I pulled mine off and put nylon spacers between the stock and the comb, and that seemed to work pretty well. Hope this helps, Josh.

3. Billster

Billster TS Member

Agree re: Browning's downfall being the adjustable comb. I have one on my BT-99. Washers are definitely a necessity but since putting washers in there, no problem. Locks down enough to avoid lateral movement. BTW: having longer posts made this week to accommodate the high add-on rib I'm about to mount on it.

When I bought her Micro BT I ordered the straight stock and had the Graco adj. comb installed. MUCHO better system.

Next problem to arise (hopefully not) will be loosening/shearing fore end iron screws. Twas a nightmare but finally solved permanently by my stock fitter buddy. That's another thread entirely...otherwise - GREAT gun!

Cheers and SMOKE 'EM
    Bill

4. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

I hope Browning takes these truths to heart and starts installing a better system in the future,,..but then again...it seems to be a sure source of business keeping all of our favorite beloved stock doctors going...not a bad thing at all

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.