1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

BT-99 problem-need help

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Mark S, Jan 28, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mark S

Mark S TS Member

Friend called tonight. He is new to trap guns. Says his BT-99 will not open. Says the opening lever will only move about 1/2 of its normal range. Says gun worked perfectly last week when he put it away. I am going over to look at it tomorrow. Where should I start looking? What are some possible problems and fixes? This is a 2009 manfacture Browning BT-99.
    Thanks,
    Mark

2. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

Pull the buttstock off...bet you find a piece of debris or a foreign object jamming it

3. beaker100

beaker100 Member

hi mark, two things 1.) broken top lever dog. take the stock off and operate the top lever while looking just under the top strap and see if the top lever is moving the locking bolt. 2.) the disk might be broken off of the ejector trip rod and interfering with the operation of the top lever/locking bolt. again look while operating the top lever with the stock off. best of luck doug

4. JerryP

JerryP Active Member

The top lever dog is just brazed together, mine came apart. gun would not open.

5. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Take off the barel and push the lug in while working the lever. You are going to take the stock off anyway but do that first. The above posts are correct.

HM

6. Mark S

Mark S TS Member

This message is now closed.
    Here is the outcome for anybody interested:
    after I took the stock off I could not find anything wrong with the lock action. It was clean and evrything in place and in good condition. The gun opened normally with the forend removed. It appaers that the foreend was not fully seated when last put on the gun

I did notice some slight wear marks on the leading edge of the slot on the lug that the locking bolt seats in. I put a little bit of grease on this area and opened and closed the action about a 100 times and cleaned off the grease. (This gun can't have more than 100 rounds through it.)

Basicially I think this problem was due to operator error and normal beak-in of a new gun.

Thanks again for all the help.

Mark

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.