1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

BT-99 problem, any advice?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by xringjim, Mar 10, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. xringjim

xringjim TS Member

I just picked up a used BT-99 and have a little problem. Its a 1979 model with the straight forearm. What's happening is as I shoot the metal latch on the forearm works its way out. Now, I have noticed the wood at the far end of the forearm is seemingly making contact with the barrel a little more than it should. I suspect that the man I bought the gun from may have left the gun out in some weather in the gun rack at his club. Which, if water collected on the barrel and ran down between the forearm and barrel could cause the wood to swell. Screws on the inside are nice and snug. And the mechanism of the latch works smoothly. Any ideas? Thanks, Jim Price

2. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Just a thought, check the barrel lug(can't remember if thats what its called) that the forearm hooks onto. See if it still ressembles a hook. If its too worn i've seen the forearm come loose. Just a thought as i know its not your first rodeo.

3. xringjim

xringjim TS Member

Ya, it's not that the forearm comes loose so much. It's that the pull-latch works its way from the closed/locked position only after a couple shots. Again, I'm thinking the wood swelled up front applying pressure to the forearm, which it wouldn't normally sustain. Jim Thanks for your thoughts

4. OhioGal

OhioGal Member

I will tell you my experience with my BT-99 Golden Clay, I had been shooting, (I wear gloves) my left hand glove was catching and eventually tore on my finger by my thumb, I told my husband it seemed like it was getting loose, but I knew something was not right even though he could not find anything. Lesson learned after it gave my forend a hair line crack, check the screws that hold the metal clip that opens to remove your forend. Mine had started to strip out and wallowed out my screw area, it was sent to be fixed and now holds great but I keep an ongoing check on it.

Deb

5. Diamond Bruce

Diamond Bruce Member

Check the flat spring on the forestock latch. Some times they loose there tension or people bend them a little where they don't have to fight the latch to remove the stock. A small bend will tighten the hold on the latch.
    Hope this helps Bruce

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.