1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

BT-99 Plus vs BT-100, Pros /Cons

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by StansCustoms, Nov 24, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. StansCustoms

StansCustoms Well-Known Member

This is directed to members who have owned both a BT-99 Plus and a BT-100.

Please enlighten me as to which one you liked best..and what the pros/cons, compared to one another, were..

Thanks and best regards...Stanley Mayfield

2. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

For me the 99 always worked out better..more comfort, better fit and able to have a much more desirable sight picture with my preferred POI...The 100 was a very nice piece of equipment but to get one to shoot 100% high like I do currently I saw almost a half inch of space between the beads..it was awesome on singles but 27yd shooting left me wanting....Always thought Browning would have knocked it out of the park with a hybrid...the 100s action with an adjustable rib and adjustable comb monte carlo..the recoil reducer could be up to the buyers

3. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

It's simple math, BT-99 plus 1 equals BT-100. HMB

4. shotgunpeople

shotgunpeople Active Member

I have owned both, and stuck with the BT-100 for a few of reasons.

First I liked the drop out trigger.

Second, I have it set on "Extract" so the shells don't fly out which I prefer.

Third I have the Stainless model which is very easy to care for.

BUT, like Calvin said, I had to raise my comb more than 1/2" to get the 100%+ POI I was looking for. I could not stand the gap between beads either so I built myself a mini-rib and installed it so my front bead rests on it when I mount the gun. It is just like looking down a full rib. I didn't bother to go the extra effort to put a center bead in it because it just wasn't necessary.

I didn't like the Beaver Tail Forearm on either so I had a "competition" forearm carved to duplicate the forearm dimensions of my Rottweil. It took some added work to get this gun to my specs, but I like it.

My suggestion to you is to try them both if you can, and select the one that seems to do the job for you. Good Luck !!!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. StansCustoms

StansCustoms Well-Known Member

Thanks guys..

I have BT-99 Plus 34"and a standard BT-99 32"...but do not have access to a BT-100.

I guess I should have inluded the standard BT-99 in this comparison...jut to round it out.

I presently have my BT-99 stock (which has an aftermarket comb and Nelson pad-adjuster) mounted on my BT-99 Plus. Since the stock was professionally fitted to me...it is more comfortable to me than the BT-99 factory stock.

I had a Citori Plus O/U back when they first came out...which I liked the sight plane/rib better than the BT-99 Plus rib. The Citori Plus O/U rib came quite a bit farther back than the Bt-99 Plus, and seemed more natural.

I was thinking that the Bt-100 rib might be even better yet.

Anyone else?

Thanks...Stan

6. ImpalaBob

ImpalaBob Member

I have been shooting a blued 32" BT-100 for an extremely long time. I have added an adjustable comb and pad extender/drop kick-ezz back end. It shoots exactly like I want. I also like the "extract" setting as I reload or properly dispose of my hulls after leaving the line. If I feel the need to "eject' it is a quick 10 second change with the drop out trigger. Maintenance over 20 years .... I have added a titanium firing pin, changed out 1 firing pin spring (EASY), and replaced 2 top lever return springs (EASY). My hinge is loose .... but lock-up is still great. If I had to change anything it would have been stainless!

7. CalvinMD

For what its worth I might be selling a beautiful 32" unported Citori Plus with very unusual light colored wood as it came from the factory..its between motor oil and blonde in color..blue is perfect except for thinning on the grip tang like they all do in a short time of shooting...I say MIGHT BE because Im not turning lose unless I decide to go the Guerini route after a test drive the end of this week

8. Gapper

Gapper TS Member

Trigger function is much better on the 100, which is a big plus. Other than that, not a lot of difference. Both the 99 and 100 came in multiple versions regarding the P.O.I.

9. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

Why buy a fixed impact gun that usually shot too low when you can buy one with adjustable impact, recoil reducing system and fully adjustable comb already installed? My vote always goes with the Plus. A few tweaks on that guns' deficiencies and Browning would have a winner!!

10. Martinpicker

Martinpicker Active Member

I traded for a BT-99 Plus last Spring. Everytime I shot it I felt I had hit a bump in a Model A Ford! It rattled and clacked and sounded like it was coming apart! Not to mention that I couldn't get the recoil reducer adjusted firmly enough.

Had the opportunity to teade for the BT-100 at the MO State Shoot and made the deal. Had Graco put an adjustable butt plate on...had a new lever spring and Dead Mule installed. IMHO the 100 is the better gun. Just my opinion. But I don't shoot 100% high. 70/30 is fine for me. Jack

11. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

One could have a longer mid bead installed if they wanted a 100% high gun so the sight picture looks norm. to them!!! I like the drop out trigger and the adj. pull, and eject/extract quick changes far better. So Its the l00 for me too. break em all. Jeff

12. garage tech

garage tech Member

Find a BT99MAX with the right rib on it, they had three different ones, and it will shoot 100% pluss. Hard to come by as only made a couple of years.

13. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

The trigger on the 100 is the way to go

14. CalvinMD

Never knew they had different ribs?? Dont even remember them stating they came more than one way..like it or lump it?? How do you identify the high shooters? Might be good info to put up if you have rib angle dimensions for those looking to tell

15. garage tech

garage tech Member

I have a tool to check angles will try tomorow. I got this gun in about 99 almost new so when ever i seen one i took a good look at it. I dont have a clue what Browning did but have seen at least two or three different factory ribs. This is a 99MAX if the 100s were the same i dont know. I also had some work done to it and the gun smith was suprised the rib had that much angle to it.

16. garage tech

garage tech Member

Ok Calvinmd 1/4 front strong 5/8 rear shoots kind of high but i like it that way. I have a 682 set up to shoot high but i see the whole top of the rib. Guess it dosent matter as i shoot of the end of the barrel anyway.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
browning bt 99 plus difference
browning bt-99 vs bt-100
browning bt99 plus shoots to left

bt 100 trap gun

bt 100 vs bt 99
bt-99 versus bt-100
bt100 or bt 99 plus
bt100 vs bt99