1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

BT-99 Plus recoil reducer

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Barrelbulge(Fl), Dec 16, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Barrelbulge(Fl)

Barrelbulge(Fl) TS Supporters TS Supporters

Need some help. I have a BT + micro that my daughter uses and the recoil reducer just doesn't seem soft enough. Does anyone know if there is a softer spring available to replace the factory original that is in the unit? Bulge.

2. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

You can get a Timney replacement unit from Midwest Gunworks or Wrights...or you can take the recoil pad off and unscrew that large slotted plug in the back of the unit...only go about 1/4 turn at most so it will still function...if you want to get rid of the original to help fund the Timney I would be interested if reasonable

3. Dave P

Dave P TS Supporters TS Supporters

Do as Calvin suggests. I got a Timney about 10 years ago for the same reason and it will be well worth the $.

4. kraiza

kraiza Active Member

I have a BT99 with a GraCoil LOP recoil reducer. This my sound strange but make it tighter ( harder to push in ) this will make it feel softer. When you make it soft it can't stop the recoil and it will have a harder recoil then a standard stock.
    I have my BT99 and XT set to the hardest setting( bottom out ) and feels the softest.

5. RobertT

RobertT Well-Known Member

Unfortunately Wrightsgunsmiths had the distributership for the Timney recoil reducer and they recently announced they would no longer provide them. Some time ago their was a thread here that described how to modify the factory original. Short of finding one used or modifying the one you have I'm afraid your stuck. I have seen plus guns that have been converted to the gracoil system quite successfully.

Robert

6. Charlie Becknell

Charlie Becknell Well-Known Member

I had my sons converted to Gracoil by Rod's Sustom Gunstocks and was much happier with it than original Browning recoil reducer and the Timney ( that did not work, mine was defective from the gitgo). Gracoil works better and is much easier to adjust for the growing kid.

Charlie

7. Ruck

Ruck Well-Known Member

I've converted several of the Pluses to Bump-Busters......

Ken Rucker

8. Buster 25

Buster 25 Member

When my Grandson comes to visit he He use's my BT99+.
    I went to my local ACE Hardware store and picked up about 1/2 dozen or so assorted springs of the proper size in cercumference but different flex capasity, and experamented until I found the right combo.
    It did take some time.

9. Barrelbulge(Fl)

Barrelbulge(Fl) TS Supporters TS Supporters

Buster, I want to keep the original. I like your idea. That's the route i will take. Bulge, Thanks.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.