1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.

BT-99 Plus Information

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Martinpicker, May 9, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Martinpicker

Martinpicker Active Member

Hey folks,

This afternoon I traded for a BT-99 Plus trap gun. Very good condition...no dents or bends in the adjustable rib...just a few handling marks in the wood. I am pleased with the trade. Now...I need to know some things about what I have!

1.) The recoil system seems too soft for me. When I shoulder the gun the stock moves in. Is it possible to stiffen this action? How is it done?

2.) What is the approximate value of this gun? This is not a big issue since I am pleased with my trade...just curious.

3.) Do any of you know what years these guns were made?

See you all at the Missouri State next week! Thanks, Jack
  2. Martinpicker

3. trapshooter5

trapshooter5 Member

4. GW22

GW22 Active Member

The PLUS guns had horrible factory recoil systems. Replace it if it bothers you and you will have a fine shotgun.

-Gary
  5. Dave P

Dave P Active Member

It sounds like you may have a replacement Timney reducer which is adjustable. The original Plus reducers were not and felt like they were non existant. In very good condition I have seen them go for around $1,000 to $1,300 blue and slightly more for stainless. They were made until about 12 years ago I would GUESS.

ps: The Timney was an exact replacement for the Browning. The Plus was a excellent gun but Browning never followed up on it, just like the BT-100
  6. Limpy100

Limpy100 Member

Martin; They came out in the 90s and didn't seem to do to well untill they nquit making them. Every body that has them seems to like them.The slop in the system is normal and when you pull it in tight to your shoulder it may click a little,then you know it tight to your sholder.They are great to shoot and hold up well and great for women shooters because of the adjustments.yOU can always get your money out of them as they sell very well and bring a good price.In good condition they bring more than they sold for new.
  7. Martinpicker

Thanks guys! Martinpicker
  8. vatrap

vatrap Member

Not sure where everyone is getting their information about the recoil systems, but they are adjustable. The screw in the back of the assembly controls the preload on the main spring.
    The manual does not mention it, but it works. If you look on page 11 of the manual, in the area of part #36 you will see the spring and set screw. Don't back the set screw out past the assembly tube, the spring has a fair amount of pressure on it and will fly out of the tube if the screw is taken all the way out. If yours has a Timney unit, respond back and I'll post the instructions for setting the preload and cleaning it, if I can find them in the shop. I have a BT-99 Plus and a Citori Plus, the 99 has a Timney unit and the Citori has the Browning unit, both work fine if they are cleaned and set properly.

Mike
  9. Martinpicker

Thanks Mike.
    I have decided to take the gun to The Stock Shoppe at the Missouri sate Shoot this week and let Tom Larkin deal with it. Thanks so much. Jack
  10. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Active Member

Hope you shoot it well MP
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.