1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

BT-99 PLUS info wanted

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Yankee Bill, Apr 26, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Yankee Bill

Yankee Bill TS Member

Hi Folks,

I've shot Skeet for several years in the past and recently decided to focus my interest on trap. I'm looking at getting a dedicated trap gun and want to stay in the lower range to start out. After reading and doing a little research I've decided to look for a BT-99 Plus. My problem is not having prior interests in trap I'm not familiar with all the different configurations the 99 Plus was offered in.

I do know that I want a basic blued gun with 32 - 34" NON-ported bbl. and not the Stainless or Clays / Golden Clays model. But I have some questions if someone might be able to help me out.

1.)Are there different models / grades of the 99 Plus w/ blued barrel and receiver, or was there just one blued model offerd and was it considered their Grade I ?

2.) How is the quality of the Recoil Reduction system Browning used on these?

3.) Is the hardware used in the Adjustable Combs on the 99 Plus the same as current production Brownings?

4.) Lastly, is there anything I should be aware of when looking for a gun (I'm already aware of the problems with bent aluminum ribs)?

Appreciate any input you may have to offer.
    Thanks,
    YB

2. Dave P

Dave P TS Supporters TS Supporters

1.Different grades were offered

2.Brownings recoil mechanism wasn't worth a crap. I bougt a Timney which is a direct replacement but no longer available. There are many others available.

3. Probably

4.They're great guns but I don't think the 99 was ever made in an o/u. The Citori Plus is the same thing only in o/u only or as a set.

3. Oregunner

Oregunner Well-Known Member

I am not aware of the BT-99 Plus being offered with a non-ported barrel. If someone has one, I'm sure they will chime in. Mine is a 34" ported barrel. My adjustable comb is the old fashioned kind, not where you adjust it throught the butt stock. Recoil makes a click when compressed and working correctly. Google the owners manual and read up on the features. Mark

4. AEP

AEP Member

My wife has a 99 Plus with a non-ported barrel. Very good gun.

The recoil system on the BT-99 Plus is junk, but I have never shot any of the recoil systems that I thought was very good.

The adj comb hardware is better than what is offered today. In my opinion.

Andy

5. vatrap

vatrap Member

Bill,

I have seen grade 1 and grade 3 models, I have a grade 1 with ported barrel.
    Rarely you can find a stainless version, don't have the numbers handy but they are fairly rare.
    The recoil system is stable and functional if kept clean and tight, the Timney unit is better if you can find one.

I found the 32" to be a little light in the front, and the 34" to be just about right.

The comb hardware is similar to the Graco kits, but is metric.

Outside of the ribs, they are as bulletproof as any BT-99.

Mike

6. Yankee Bill

Yankee Bill TS Member

Appreciate the info Guys.

I guess the basic blue 99 Plus I'll be looking for would be a Grade 1 then.

I've been trying to search the web for a list that states what grades were made and what features / specs each grade / model of 99 plus had, but to no avail. Does anyone know if this info is available on the web anywhere?

Thanks for the help.

YB

7. superxjeff

superxjeff Active Member

Yb, Not to be a jerk but you are over thinking this thing.

They offered 32 and 34 inch models.

They could be had in blued in the regular grade and the pigeon grade. The pigeon grade was the most un -pigeon grade version I have ever seen on any gun offered in a standard as well as a pigeon grade. The term" pigeon grade" was outligned in gold paint on the reciever of the gun. The pigeon grade wood was about the same as the standard grade guns which was pretty plain.

The gun was offered in stainles steell as well. You could get it in 32 or 34 inch with ported or non-ported barrels. Damn few of these around.

they also made it in a BT-99 plus YOUTH. This gun could be had with a 27,28 or a 30 inch barrel and the stock was 1/2 inch shorter from trhe factory.

This is really all you need to know as in the end you only have what is on the used market to choose from and the chances of you coming up against the exact model with the barrel length and choice of porting are slim to zero.

Unless you have 10 years to wait.

In which case they made them in stainless, blued and in regular and youth models with barrels both ported and unported in anywhere from 27,28,30,32, and 34 inch barrels.

I have owned several and shot them well and enjoyed them. You might find the rare combo as well as they did make these.

It was a Citori-Plus with an extra single barrel and could be had in 30 or 32 inch over and under barrels as well as 32 or 34 inch single barrels.

Never made the Citori plus in stainless though. Good luck with your search. Jeff

8. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

Never a problem with the recoil device as long as the end cap was staked enough to never move or had a previous owner monkey with it...I have a unported 34" gun thats NIB but will be shot when and if I need to send my current shooter away for a rebuild

Blue Book of gun values has some info but the prices are lowball considering how much owners like them and how hard finding pristine guns is becoming...sorry none of mine are for sale

9. Yankee Bill

Yankee Bill TS Member

Appreciate the additional info folks.

That helps clarify what I was wanting to know, as I wasn't aware of the different configurations in which the 99+ was offered. Guess the model I'll be looking for is the regular grade blue w/ 34" non-ported bbl...let the hunt begin! :)

Thanks again for the input.

YB

10. superxjeff

superxjeff Active Member

Hope you do not plan on using it this year! Jeff

11. Yankee Bill

Yankee Bill TS Member

12. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

This is what they look like. The top one is a Micro Plus-both 32". Not for sale and both nearly pristine. Enjoy the view!!
    oleolliedawg_2008_0303721.jpg

13. likemybrownings

likemybrownings Active Member

Now all you guys have me thinking,,??
    2 yrs ago I bought a BT99 Micro Plus, 34" ported, tubed gun,, engraved / checkered, gold trigger, 96-97% paid $775.00 to put in my safe. Did I pay too much?
    DaveB

14. oleolliedawg

God will punish you!!

15. Limpy100

Limpy100 Member

Hold your hat.I bought 9 of them at995.00 each nib.I should have set on them.

16. oleolliedawg

Yeah, I was at the Grand that year for the BT-99 Plus giveaway. If only I had more money!!

17. superxjeff

superxjeff Active Member

Why? The non-ported can be very hard to find.

The gun has more demand now then when they sold them!

18. E. Beaver

E. Beaver Member

If you have a BT99 plus and the recoil system is not working properly or to your liking I have info on a low cost do it yourself fix.

Email me at xxxpcmcphee@verizon.netxxx, drop the xxx.

Charlie

19. slayer

slayer Well-Known Member

FYI Monsoors in Wisconsin is still offering the BT-99 AR. Myself and a friend just bought new ones this past winter. Very nice guns at a reasonable price. Good wood, high gloss finish with a very adjustable rib. So far no problems with mine. i got it set up with adjustable comb and a R.A.D. recoil system, which I consider to be one of the best on the market. You can really fine tune your p.o.i. with one of these. I'm having one the best springs ever this year. Bill

20. 575cas

575cas Member

I have a BT-99 PLUS 34 inch barrel but it is ported in pristine shape pm for pics. thanks paul

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

browning bt 99 plus

bt 99 info

did they make a bt-99 plus in 28
e bay adjustable comb stock for bt99