1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

BT-99 Pigeon Question

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Big Dave, Oct 7, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Big Dave

Big Dave Member

I recently purchased, sight unseen, a BT-99 pigeon grade. I did not know that they had stopped engraving the pigeon and just put some gold script saying "Pigeon Grade" on them. The receiver bluing and subsequent gold are worn, I called Browning and they quoted me $800 to reblue and redo the gold. My question is what are these guns worth? Would it be worth the price to have it redone by Browning or just have it reblued and sell it as a regular BT-99?

Thanks

Big Dave

2. spitter

spitter Well-Known Member TS Supporters

I would also estimate that an original gun is typically worth more than one altered, unless your into it very right...

I had to be very specific when I was looking for my 70s Pigeon (Grade 2) by confirming it had the deep relief engraving... Enjoy your Pigeon, its different than most other BTs!

Jay

3. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

That doesn't sound right Dave..what you describe sounds like a Pidgeon grade 99 Plus receiver that someone fitted with a standard 99 barrel and wood...is the wood really nice? Pidgeons always had very nice better grade wood

4. Big Dave

Big Dave Member

Calvin, it's not a plus, the numbers on the receiver and barrel match, the wood is not any better than I have seen on standard grade guns. I did a search and apparently Browning downgraded their pigeon grade to a standard with gold scribblings on it.

5. CalvinMD

Thats odd...I thought I had pretty much owned them all and my last Pidgeon was one of the last of the standard bore guns (.729 bore)....It was an (in the) white receiver with slightly more extensive engraving than an early standard gun and the wood looked like about what they are putting on nice XT's these days

6. CalvinMD

Dave ..there are probably some other outfits that can do as good as Browning for a bit less...but only if you love it, is it worth it...Art's did somefabulous work for me in the past

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

bt99 pigeon grade worth