1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.

BT 99 or SKB

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by dhip, Apr 15, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dhip

dhip Active Member

Which one is better?

I've been trying out a BT 99 a friend wants me to buy.A person on this sight has an SKB for sale a little higer priced than the BT 99.It has cauht my eye for quite awhile,but some negative comments about SKBs at the club have made me shy away.You can check out the SKB,it's still listed.I know it's probably personal preference,but can you all give your opinions on which you'd buy and the reasons why.It's 72 BT and shoots a little flat,I've done ok with it,but haven't set the world on fire yet,it does have a release trigger in it,fella thought it'd smooth things out for me over my Citori,but again,no great improvement,but with an unlimited free trial,it is kind of hard to not try it.

Again,your input will be appreciated.

Doug H.
  2. dzneff

dzneff TS Member

Buy the BT99 and have an adjustable comb installed for an adjustable POI.
  3. Mike Battista

Mike Battista Active Member

And what is wrong with an SKB? The experts at your club with the negative comments probably never have shot an SKB but listen to the club idiots that know everything about everything. Anything man made will break. Why do Perazzi owners carry a spare trigger group. Make up your own mind based on known facts and not unsupported innuendo.
    Mike Battista
    Silver Dollar Firearms
    SKB dealer
  4. Auctioneer

Auctioneer Active Member

I have seen alot of problems with the SKB. Stay away from the SKB. Go with the BT-99. You will not be sorry.
  5. Twinbirds

Twinbirds TS Member

buy the bt99
  6. zaob1

zaob1 Member

I have shot both and prefer the SKB. Better balance, POI and reliability. Shoot for your self, but the better gun is the SKB. It just feels better, tighter, handles with more quality.

Rick
  7. Titan Trap Team

Titan Trap Team TS Member

For myself I haved owned a BT 99, BT 100, and the SKB 85TSS. In my experience I much prefer the SKB over the Brownings, and yes SKB is alive and well.
    Mark Richards
  8. esoxhunter

esoxhunter Active Member

Doug: Are you confused yet!! :) I don't own either of these types of guns. I know a number of shooters who do. They both will do the job if you do yours. In my personal opinion, ( and that's all it is); I would opt for the SKB. I have shot both and to me the SKB seems to be a better balanced gun. Again. JMHO. Good Luck. ED
  9. bkt514

bkt514 Member

Really like my SKB 85TSS O/U with 32" Barrels! Zaob above has it correct!
  10. shadow

shadow Active Member

Buy the SKB. Anything man made can/will break. Turnaround time for a factory fix on a Browning can be as long as 6-8 MONTHS ! The SKB will be back in your hands in a few DAYS !!!!!
  11. 1oldtimer

1oldtimer TS Member

The two happiest days of my life, when I bought a SKB combo and when I sold it a a big loss. When was the last time you saw a top shooter shooting a SKB? 1babydoll
  12. bill kindred

bill kindred Active Member

Bt-99. Don't worry too much about repairs as they are not often needed.
  13. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Active Member

Buy the BT-99 then save your money and buy a Krieghoff. You'll get one anyway someday and won't lose any money on the BT-99. Buyers are much harder to find for an SKB!!
  14. dhip

dhip Active Member

Thanks for the input...If I could try out the SKB(shoot it) first,that'd make a difference.However I understand inyernet sales usually don't carry that option,and I'm sure there's a good reason for that.I'm leaning towards the BT,mainly because of the free trial, and $200 difference in price.

Mike--the negative was from earlier days,apparently the trigger broke a lot.Actually,the friend selling the BT said he use to rib a fello shooter every shoot,He knew the trigger wouldn't last a whole day of shooting.From a previous thread,someone said the trigger issue was taken care of.

Doug H.
  15. Barrelbulge(Pa)

Barrelbulge(Pa) Active Member

I have and occassionally shoot a Ithaca Century trap and an older BT-99. Both have 34" barrels. The Ithaca is a little lighter and seems to swing a little faster. Both are nice guns. Starting out in trap my first gun was a Pigeon grade BT-99 with a competition front end. It had a mercury recoil reducer in the stock when I bought it and the gun could shoot. I took the Century out a couple of months ago and ran 25 right away. The gun just felt comfortable. Either gun will do a good job if you do. The BT's are more plentiful and about the same price as the Ithaca. A Century sold on gun broker about a month ago for $850 about the same as a BT. The Ithaca kicked just a little more and that is probably due to the slighty lighter weight. Mike.
  16. economan

economan TS Member

I have both BT99 and SKB 85TSS. Have shot thousands of rounds through both with no problems. I ended up using the BT99 exclusively for trap because of fit issues. I could put a PFS stock on the BT99 and Apogee does not have a stock for SKB's. Both are good guns in my opinion.
  17. goose2

goose2 Active Member

Factoring in resale only the BT 99 is hands down better investment. If I am not mistaking the SKB is out of business.
  18. bowhunting11

bowhunting11 TS Member

goose 2. skb is not out of buisness they were bought out but nothing changed in my understanding. i just talked to a dealler at the state shoot
  19. StansCustoms

StansCustoms Active Member

Both are fine...SKB is a quality gun as is Browning, maybe not a Krieghoff but both still shoot very well.

Stan...
  20. dhip

dhip Active Member

Well,to end this thread,let me say,,I just ran my second straight with the BT.Took me 1 1/2 yrs. to do it with my Citori(it will become My doubles gun)it took me 3 months with the BT.( I guess geeting use to the release took some time)I more or less know it's sold(to me) just haven't told the friend that's letting me try it yet.If a few more straights come,it's a no brainer.

Thanks again for input.

Doug H.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.