1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

BT-99 Opinions

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Tangler, Oct 26, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tangler

Tangler TS Member

I am an experienced shooter and hunter who is new to Trap.
    Shooting a Beretta 687 SPII-28"...not the right gun for the game.
    Shot 4 times scoring around 90%.
    In the market for a single barrel trap gun.
    Looking at the BT-99...thoughts?
    32 or 34"?
    Currently only shooting from 16yds.
    Unlikely that I will shoot doubles in near future.
    I am attracted to the Grade III.
    Is the Grade III worth the price difference?
    Do most shooters stay with the BT-99 or is it a starter gun that you evolve out of?

Mike

2. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

I like MIA's. Adjustable comb maybe needed. I know when I mount a fixed comb 99 I cant see over the tang.

3. Tangler

Tangler TS Member

Thank you for the replies.
    You are confirming what I was thinking.
    BT-99 - 34" - Adjustable Comb - Grade III and shoot the shit out of it.
    At 16 yds...IM or F choke?
    Can I buy a trap barrel for my Beretta 687 and convert that to a trap gun?, as I am very comfortable with that gun for upland and sporting clays.

Mike

4. jm1079

jm1079 Well-Known Member

I believe Joel Etchen sells 687 Trap guns. Maybe they have a barrel available. jm

5. jm1079

jm1079 Well-Known Member

PS.
    just noticed some one is selling a 682 trap barrel only for 750. check with someone who knows about berettas because i think ( i am not sure) a 682 barrel might fit on a 687 receiver. for what its worth. jm

6. bgf

bgf Active Member

In one word....whippy. For some that is ok.

FWIW,
    Bernie

7. Bridger

Bridger Member

I bough a Grade 3 about a month ago.Didn't need it but Etchens gave me a good price on it. Beautiful wood, nice engraving. I thought it was a very nice upgrade from the basic model. Recoil is very tolerable. I bought it to have a lighter gun to use in the winter months, at least that's how I justified the purchase. But it swings and points very nicely and I may end up shooting it more than I initially planned.

8. tuscarora 99

tuscarora 99 TS Member

Use IM choke from 16's. Im on the 22 yard line and shoot the IM. Shoots just as well from 16 as it does handicap.

9. gslam

gslam TS Member

Junk, had three and sold them all cheap. They all shoot two feet low or worse. Buy anything else.

10. BrowningGal

BrowningGal TS Member

Definitely 34". As for choke, all you need is full. Mine is a 1970 issue BT-99, and it only came in full back then.

Starter gun? I've had mine since age 14, and I have no intention of replacing it. That gun has taken me from 19 to 22.5 in my short ATA career (1.5 years), and it will see me all the way to the back fence within the next target year, if all goes as planned.

Wouldn't trade my BT for anything.

11. Trappy12

Trappy12 Active Member

I shoot a BT-99, and I have to say it works VERY well for me. I've got just a conventional stock, 34". I couldn't be happier. Shoots great! You can pay a whole lot more money for a trap gun, but you can't buy that much more gun.
    -Trappy

12. Sky Buster

Sky Buster Sky Buster TS Supporters

If you buy a BT, get one of the older guns with all forged parts. If the
    receiver is scroll engraved, it's the right one. The current gun is junk
    compared to a older BT. Most of the parts are castings.

13. WNCRob

WNCRob Member

Here's a suggestion..If you can go to $3500, buy a VERY nice used Ljutic with the Mid or Centennial rib. Mechanically, an absolutely elegant gun. Look at Indiana Gun Club's web site. Now, you're talking about a serious trap gun that will last a lifetime. In its price range, the BT 99 is a standout, but the Ljutic is something special if you get one that fits you well.

WNCRob

14. Rem870TB

Rem870TB Active Member

I started shooting trap just before the BT99 was first introduced and have seen the various generations come on the scene.

My new style "junk" BT99 was made in 2005.

It is functioning flawlessly so far, patterns very well; so far, I am very pleased with it.

Shoots 70/30 for me with the dreaded adjustable comb set 1/8" up. I have shimmed it there with one black plsatic washer on each post, tightened it as per the manual and it has not moved in two years of shooting.

15. singleshot54

singleshot54 TS Member

I agree with shootlow, I bought my 99 about 18 months ago. Was shooting a Browning Lighting at the time with scores in the mid teens. Bought my 99 and now shoot 22-24 on a regular bases with a couple of 25 in there too. I bought my used from a fellow in Silver City NM, had less than 100 rds through it. I came with a Bill Simons recoil system.

16. kraiza

kraiza Active Member

My Bt99. Gray Laminate/nickel barrel, Keen add on rib, Ajustable comb with a custom comb added, GraCoil LOP, Ported and lenghten forcing cones. Nice gun. I don't shoot it much. I just like how it looks.

17. Shoot-at-em

Shoot-at-em TS Member

I have one that my grandfather bought for me in the mid 80's. I shot it for a few years and loved it. Never any problems. Then it sat in the gun case for 17 years while I raised the family. Went back to shooting it then bought a combo for the doubles game. Now my daughter shoots it and is doing quite well. She never got to meet her great grandfather, but I'm sure that he'd be pleased.

Frank

18. culverken

culverken Member

I won another Annie Oakley shoot just last night with my Grade 3 Bt-99. I really like the gun.

Ken

19. Jon Reitz

Jon Reitz Well-Known Member

I have a BT-99 Plus that I shot for a year with a 32" barrel. It was just way too light and whippy. Fortunately I found a new "34 barrel for it and had it fitted. I could not believe the difference in the gun.

20. kraiza

kraiza Active Member

My Bt-99 shoots very good. I like the feel for my CG Summit Trap unsingle better. I also can add the O/U barrels and shoot doubles with it. Thats why I don't shoot the BT99 much. I do like the BT99 and love how it looks. Great gun for the money.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.