1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

bt 99 opens hard

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by greenlightning, Nov 12, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. greenlightning

greenlightning TS Member

Just bought a new bt 99 micro for my mom/son to shoot, but the gun opens and closes very hard. If it were me shooting, it wouldn't be an issue, but neither one of the intended shooters can successfully open and close the gun. I would appreciate any advice or recommendations to help speed the break in phase. Thanks in advance.

Curt

2. scott k

scott k TS Member

3. sliverbulletexpress

sliverbulletexpress TS Member

Have a gunsmith loosen the forearm fit before you ruin it.

4. JACK

JACK Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

you gauled it. Take a pic of the forend to recvr joint and send it to me and I will tell you how to fix it.

Or call 715-262-8556 in th eAM. Jack

5. d_fixitman

d_fixitman Member

Could somebody elaborate on what the fit should be for anyone else who may have this issue. I shoot a BT100 and want to make sure I'm not damaging my gun. Thanks

6. JerryP

JerryP Active Member

Curt, What you have sounds normal. Just keep it greased and shoot it. I would not loosen the forearm as advised. It will just loosen up and be sloppy that much quicker. Be sure to put grease on the barrel lug that the forearm iron presses against. Have your son break it open over his knee if he has to.

7. phirel

phirel TS Member

A new BT should be rather stiff and hard to open and close. After 5,000 rounds, it will open/close with little effort. After 300,000 rounds, it will get loose and need to be tightened by a good gunsmith and the cycle begins over again.

Curt- If you want to speed up the "break in" process, shoot more shells through the gun. Just keep it clean and lightly lubricated.

Pat Ireland

8. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

It is common and especially on the BT100 stainless, it will settle in

9. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

Just be sure to keep it lubed with a good grease...and clean of the old grease and reapply often while its breaking in...you can do a hundred or so open close cycles per evening at home and you will feel it eventually easeing up

10. RobertT

RobertT Well-Known Member

One thousand rounds of 1 1/8 shot with 34grs. of Longshot should loosen the gun and your teeth. Seriously, what Pat and Calvin said.

Robert

11. flybyknight

flybyknight Member

My wife had a similar problem with a BT-99 Golden Clays. Upon close examintation, it was determined that the firing pin was sharp, and hanging up in the primer. In addition, there was a slight build up of metal in the firing pin channel that needed to be thouroughly cleaned out. Note: the primer was not punctured. Solution: new firing pin. Bob K

12. Country Squire

Country Squire TS Member

Curt. Put the barrel on the gun without the forearm. If it opens and closes easily the forearm is too tight. you can fix it by fileing about 4~6 strokes with a fine file on the very back of the barrel lug that the forearm attaches to the barrel. That is what a gunsmith will do to it. There will be some that say don't file it,but the choice is yours. Give a few strokes with a file or break your wrist and knees fighting it for 5 or 6 thousand rounds. Hope this helps George. P.S. I used to fix those out in the parking lot and charge $20.

13. redhawk44

redhawk44 Member

I don't know for sure because I have never actually tried this.....but you might try this; take the forend off and put 1 or 2 layers of masting tape on the bottom of the inside of the channel in which the latch recesses. This should keep the latch from going all the way closed and relieve the pressure between the forend iron and the radius on the receiver.

If that works, then in the future, after the gun has been fired some, you can dig it out of there and you have not altered the gun in any way, shape, or form.

14. Francis Marion

Francis Marion Well-Known Member

Curt,
    STOP!!!!! Don't shoot it anymore. I bet you dollars to doughnuts it is full of burrs. I have completely de burred two BT-99's that Browning should have never let get out of the factory. All the grease in the world won't help. I did one that was actually galling it was so bad.This seems to be inherant in the BT's. My XT wasn't too bad. I did it anyways, but that's me. Take the gun apart and run the tip of your index finger over all mating parts. Do a visual also. If you see any big burrs or galling, it needs to be stoned off. I use a fine flat stone on the flat surfaces and a Dremel and a carbide burr on the rounded parts. If you don't know how to do this, don't. Find a tool and die maker and have him help you out. Some gunsmiths are great, some are hacks. This operation is more about knowing how parts are supposed to fit and work together than anything gun specific. MIA is the only one that had this one right. Can't beat a good toolmaker.Good luck.

15. KENENT1

KENENT1 Active Member

<I>"MIA is the only one that had this one right."</I>

keep building Jack up and before you know it....he'll think he is to good to drink out of the garden hose!!! lol

tony

16. JerryP

JerryP Active Member

Go ahead and attack it with a file. Even though it is new and tight as all new ones are, it is probably galled and buggered up anyway. Browning is clueless.

17. Francis Marion

Francis Marion Well-Known Member

Tony,
    I would assume you know MIA( Jack). I don't. I still have to give him the credit he deserves, but I certainly wouldn't want him to quit drinking out of the hose.Many of us enjoy drinking out of hoses and don't appreciate those who look down upon us for doing so. So, in an effort to keep MIA from getting to arrogant,I state the following. MIA, good call on the BT-99 needing a good de burring, but please don't attempt to do it. Leave it to us card carrying professionals.

18. sliverbulletexpress

sliverbulletexpress TS Member

The guys who say shoot it in are just wrong I hate to say. Maybe years ago but not the current crop of Brownings. The forearms are fit so tight it's almost impossible to get the latch to open and close. Before you shoot it again have a gunsmith familar with them file a little off the back side of the fore arm iron located on the barrel. Do this until the barrel opens easily. The fore arm fit has nothing to do with the lock up of the barrel. I've seen many new Brownings ruined by trying to break them in shooting, it just won't happen, the fit is so tight no grease or oil will stay in there and it will gaul.

19. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Fit the sucker. If you look at the recever end of the forearm lug on the barrel(this is where the pressure comes from) you will see the part that puts pressure on the forend iron and locks up the whole mess.

This part for some reason is never fit properly at the factory, and if it is correct it's an accident. I supect they don't fit it because they don't want to take off the bluing.

The jperfect example:

I bought a 4 barrel skeet set some years ago, and one of the barrels fit way better than the others. I filed the others to match and have been shooting the gun for 20 years with no ill effects.

I'm sure someone will post a "file here" picture. A few strokes with a small mill bastard will do the trick. File a couple strokes and try it till it Opens easily but not just when you work the lever.

HM

20. greenlightning

greenlightning TS Member

I thought that I would tell everyone about the success I had as a result of all your help. The forearm on this gun took way too much force to close, leading me to believe it was forcing the forearm radius into the receiver as the forearm lever was latched on the barrell lug. I took my file to the back of the barrell lug with a few strokes, then cleaning and greasing and filing until the fit was right. Meanwhile, it was so tight initially that gaulling was starting to happen despite all the grease and oil I was using. Once I was happy with the forarm fit, I polished the forarm and receiver radiuses with 320 grit sandpaper. Everything is still tight, but my son can open and close it with some effort. I am not worried about gaulling anymore since I opened and closed it 200 plus times and cleaned and inspected the matting surfaces after, which looked good. I appreciate all the advice and opinions everyone offered.

Thanks
    Curt

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

breaking in a bt-99 shotgun

bt 99 clays wont seperate
bt 99 difficult to open
bt 99 opens hard
bt99 wont open

forearm too tight on bt99

new browning bt99 top lever hard to move