1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

bt-99: Old Style vs. New Style

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Kristin, Jan 17, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kristin

Kristin TS Member

I am looking for a trap gun and am interested in the BT-99. I have been browsing some threads on here and have heard mention of old and new style BT-99s. What is the difference? Which one should I go with?

Thanks for the help.

Kristin

2. Kristin

Kristin TS Member

3. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Without going into great detail, the main difference is in the forend.

The new style is also old, if you ask me. The terms are used just to indicate the difference.

The "old style" forend is wider and flatter than the new, and more rounded in shape.

The new has a larger and somewhat squared off looking forend like Citori models.

You can probably find pictures of the 2 on Gunbroker.com, just do a search for BT-99 and look at the various offerings.

HM

4. Browning Boy

Browning Boy Member

Also old style has a trigger guard that is cut into the stock. Were has the new style it is just part of the frame.

George

5. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

Kristen, One of the biggest differences that has not been addressed is that the old sytle gun had fixed chokes, and was not ported, or reduced forcing cones, or backbored. The newer guns have all three of these as well as the new style Invector plus chokes. These help reduce the felt recoil and give your shotgun a slightly better patten (maybe). The older ones are better made as far as better quality control than todays guns, but they are also alot older and have been shot alot as well. The choice is yours the other posters have filled you in on the rest. Good Luck and Break-em all. Jeff

6. Kristin

Kristin TS Member

Thanks!

7. Phil E

Phil E TS Member

Browning stopped making the BT-99 in about 1994, after a 25-year run, then reintroduced it in about 2001, and those became known as the old and new. There's little difference aside from those noted above. Quality's not substantially changed. Handle a new one in a gunstore and you'll notice that the action is quite stiff when new. A used old model will be "worn in" enough that it will open easier, a possible consideration for you. We have both old & new, and I like them all. It's hard to go wrong with any BT-99. Phil E

8. wayneo

wayneo Active Member

I have had both, my old BT-99 shot flat almost a 50-50 pattern, my new Grey laminate nickel shoots about 6 inches high at 40 yards a 70-30 pattern. Much prefer the higher shooter. Wayne

9. Ralph1100

Ralph1100 Member

The new ones are made by Miroku in Japan, same as the Citori

10. kolar kda

kolar kda TS Member

i only shoot my kolar now, but i started with a old style bt-99, then bought a new style as i thought it would be better since it was new, but i hateded it and then ended up buying a bt-99 stainless old-style and am now waiting till the day my son can shoot it. in my opinion the old-style is a way better gun

11. JerryP

JerryP Active Member

New ones have aluminum trigger housing, some cast parts and other cost cutting measures. I would prefer an older one if can be found in good condition.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

is the bt 99 obsolete

lookingforbt99oldstyle