1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

BT 99 minor galling? need advice

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by hardRT, Jun 14, 2013.

1. hardRT

hardRT Member

I have a late 70's bt 99 and I noticed some galling on the far left of forearm iron and receiver.(the narrow part of the iron) It's seems minor to moderate. I did not grease the gun regularly early on. I do grease it now using shooter choice grease. I really didn't notice it before until recently, it may have been there for some time and was not aware of it. I just learned about galling. I really didn't hang out with knowledgeable trap shooters until recently. The gun otherwise is great shape, hard to tell from new. Is there anything I can do to arrest the situation? Should I polish the surfaces or have a gunsmith do that? Any sage wisdom would be highly appreciated. Thanks

2. Johnny

Johnny Well-Known Member

Polish the area with a hard Arkansas stone till it's smooth and it will be fine. Clean and re- grease before EVERY shoot.

3. mike campbell

mike campbell Active Member

It was caused by grit. It happens readily when they aren't greased, but the most expensive hi-tech grease in the world can capture and hold grit and not help at all. The answer is frequent cleaning. ANY grease will work just fine, provided you frequently wipe it off and reapply it.

I've had galling a couple of times. Just like a little rust in the chamber or bore, it's a headsup that I've been lax. But other than the fact it's a constant reminder I screwed up, I see no practical reason to try to remove the gouges.

4. wayneo

wayneo Active Member

+1 for what Mike said.

Wayne

5. mich746

mich746 Member

I had a very similar problem with my BT when it was almost new. Got a metal chip or something between the forearm and receiver. Was at a ATA shoot and the gun got very difficult to open. Got it cleaned out but it left some galling marks. Smoothed them out with some sand cloth but they are still slightly noticeable

6. JACK

JACK Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

My Perazzi was galled when I bought it used. Put grease on it and it works fine. The gall holds grease well.

7. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

I fixed one for my brother by using a medium fine grit fingernail buffing board to clean up a few burrs..also it put a nice little cross hatch that has held grease and kept the gun tight ever since...this was on a SKB/Weatherby

8. hardRT

hardRT Member

Thanks everyone for the advice. I think Mike put it best..."constant reminder I screwed up" It looks like from this point on I'll make sure it's got plenty of new ,clean grease.
    Patrick

9. BT-100dc

BT-100dc Active Member

Grease, either synthetic, or white, has always worked for me. About ever other time clean it off with Hoppe's No. 9. Never had a galling issue. BT100dc

10. Spanky

Spanky Active Member

Super Lube. Hinge points and choke tube threads. Not much you can do about the metal that was pulled but, removing the high spots only makes sense to me. I'm with Gary.