1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

BT 99 locking block

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by 338reddog, Nov 13, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 338reddog

338reddog Member

I was wondering if the slot in barrel for the locking block is just tappered or stepped and tappered?
    My citori's are just tappered. I just traded for a BT 99 2008 era and the slot on barrel is tappered but has a step that is unlike a citori. Maybe someone can take a side profile pic of the barrel showing the bolt slot.

Jeff

2. GunDr

GunDr Well-Known Member

The BTs do have a step, but the locking bolt fully extended forward does not make contact with the step. I do not know why it's there. At times when I need to weld up the step because it got filed on and altered to the wrong angle, I cut the slot full depth.

Doug

3. 338reddog

338reddog Member

Thanks Doug
    The lever is almost in the center. Is it hard for a DIY to replace? and are the parts avail? I am a jeweler and have some gunsmithing exp. Where can new locking bolt be ordered?

4. GunDr

GunDr Well-Known Member

You can get all the parts you need directly from Browning...or you can go to the Brownells website and order them. Brownells is about 10-20% more in cost.

Fitting is not to difficult as long as the bbl lugs are at the correct angle and no one has filed on them.

5. Johnny

Johnny Well-Known Member

Browning will not sell a locking bolt to just anybody. They restrict parts they deem critical. Not sure, but I think Brownells has the same policy. Must be a gunsmith or maybe they will sell to any ffl holder.

6. archangel

archangel Member

What wears faster the lugs or the bolt? Mike

7. kirbythegunsmith

kirbythegunsmith Member

BT-99 locking lugs have had problems with the bolt sticking in the "bite", so Browning made the "fix" to be a face contact stop for the locking bolt to butt against and prevent excess depth of engagement - and therefore reduce the tendency to stick when closed.

Any step that is too deep to be contacted was cut in to excess by an inexperienced fitter or else reworked and is not as the factory intended to make a susceptible design less likely to balk. So, in that case, you have either unfamiliarity or inexperience making a superfluous oddity out of a working detail.

This does not mean that I think that the step cuts were a great idea. The Winchester 21 uses a stop screw to limit bolt extension into the barrel locking surface, so there really is more than one way to "skin the cat".

Kirby

8. oletymer

oletymer Member

Go to Midwest Gunworks. They sell a kit with the locking lug, springs ant some rods. The cost is about $70.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
browning bt 99 locking block
browning bt 99 locking bolt
browning bt-99 locking bolt repair
bt99 locking block replacement
bt99 locking bolt
glock locking block depth of engagement

how to check the locking bolt on a bt 99

rebuild browning bt-99 locking block