1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

BT-99 Lever Near Center, Action Tight???

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Rem870TB, Dec 13, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rem870TB

Rem870TB Active Member

I have been shooting trap since 1970 but never had a BT-99 until 2007 so I hope to get some experienced opinions from long term owners on this one.

I am wondering if I am close to a re-build?

Got it NIB in early 2007, it is a 2005 manufacture gun.

The lever was never really far right when I got it, maybe 1/8" to 3/16", (never measured it).

It is now about .030" right of center. It locks up very tight. There is no play in the barrel/forearm assembly about the hinge pin when it is open, it does not drop open and still takes a very slight effort to open.

If I din't look at the lever position, just by operation, everything is just fine.

The gun has a low round count, under 15,000. It is kept clean and lightly greased with STOS on the hinge pin and forearm iron. It is shot with 1150 and 1200 fps 1 oz loads, closed, never slammed shut.

For any long term BT-99 users, does this sound OK or does it some like a problem in the near-term?

2. wayneo

wayneo Active Member

Save this post. Then put another 15,000 down the pipe, and repost this. All kidding aside, with you're description how tight everything is it's got a lot of life left.

Wayne

3. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

If it's right, it's tight...

4. Rem870TB

Rem870TB Active Member

Wayne

Thanks.

I have shot several break guns for periods of time over the last 40 years but most of my shooting has been those nasty old trap versions of repeaters ;)

You often read comments about "lever to the right"

I wish this one was but the truth is, it locks with great authority and when the locking bolt shuts, it is solid, like it was welded shut.

I like shooting it, so I was hoping it might hang in there.

I actually handled one in the early 1990's with the lever well right that was loose but this actually felt like a hinge pin, in that case; too long ago to say for sure, though.

5. miketmx

miketmx Well-Known Member

I had a Grade III Browning Citori without very many miles on it and the top lever was not very far to the right. I had a gunsmith put in a new locking block and it did not cost very much. I would get it fixed sooner rather than later.

6. Rem870TB

Rem870TB Active Member

Mike

Yeah, if things were different, I'd just get it dealt with.

However, the complication is that I live in Canada, in southern Ontario.

We do not have the same resources shooters in the U.S. do to get something like that done, quickly, easily or at a reasonable price.

Most of the gunsmiths I knew are gone, the few that remain are not real familiar with this type of repair on BT's

We do not have easy access to Midwest or the Browning repair shop, these days due to regulations on both sides of the border.

We do have Browning Canada but they can only tell you the three "don't's"

They;

1.) Don't know much about their own guns.

2.) Don't care that they don't know much about their guns.

3.) Don't care about YOUR problem.

Often, there's a 4th statement; Its your fault, whatever it is.

This is a quite disappointing, especially when it is a problem with an unmodified, low round count, well cared for gun, but, that's the reality of it.

7. Hoosier Daddy

Hoosier Daddy TS Member

In another 5-7 years you might need some work. If you keep it lubed and clean it will be 10-12 years.

8. Rem870TB

Rem870TB Active Member

Hooser Daddy

If your estimate is right, I have some time to find a good place to get it done.

The BT-99 Field Service Manual indicates that any problems with lock up are usually related to the barrel lug because the locking bolt is harder.

The manual lists both the options of fitting an over-sized locking bolt and welding and re-shaping the lug. I don't know which is more commonly done.

9. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

If you decide it needs work, Doug Braker, did an excellent job on my '63 superposed...

10. az outlaw

az outlaw Member

I have a 1976 BT-99, that has enough rounds through it to go around the World. The lever is center or just a hair Right, and although the Gun is not as tight as what you described it still locks up good and tight. With that being said the BT-99 is one of the most reliable, hard to destroy Trap Guns made. If your's is the way you describe it I'm with Wayneo keep it clean and lubed and shoot it for another 20,000 rounds then THINK about looking for someone to replace the block.

Mark

11. miketmx

miketmx Well-Known Member

I live in Canada also and I had the Citori repaired in Edmonton. I will send you the name of the gunsmith via PM.

12. Bazooka Joe

Bazooka Joe Member

With the gun closed take the forend off and grab the barrel in one hand and the stock grip in the other and apply back and forth pressure with each hand. If the barrel has any movement in the frame it's time to have it repaired.
    Rick

13. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

I'm guessing you only have 25-30K left...sounds like shes just broken in

14. joe90t

joe90t Active Member

Please Listen To Wayneo, Your BT-99 Has A LOT Of Life Left In It. Shoot It Until it starts coming Open THEN Have It Worked On. Costs The Same To Fix It Now As It Will 25,000 Rds from Now.Lube It On The Hinge Pin And Pivot face So As Not To "Gald" Them. Joe W. Boy That should Start Something!!!!!

15. Rem870TB

Rem870TB Active Member

"With the gun closed take the forend off and grab the barrel in one hand and the stock grip in the other and apply back and forth pressure with each hand. If the barrel has any movement in the frame it's time to have it repaired."

Not a HINT of play, VERY solid, like it was welded shut.

"Lube It On The Hinge Pin And Pivot face So As Not To "Gald" Them."

From Day One, has been kept very clean, hinge pin and fore arm iron pivoting surfaces lubed with STOS grease, light amounts of Browning oil used in other spots.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

bt-99 lever at center when new