Trapshooters Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

BT 99 Help Please

1K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  GunDr 
#1 ·
Good afternoon:

My BT99 has a 1973 manufacture date. The gun was essentailly new and unfired when I purchased it from the original owner about six years ago. Since that time I have run over 13,000 rounds through it and the action had grown appropriately loose with use.

However, recently the gun has become increasingly difficult to open and close. I keep it clean and lubricate the friction points with Tetra.

Note that the barrel does continue to move freely on the hinges when the forend is detached.

A couple of guys at my club suggested that the screw on the muzzle end of the forend actually adjusts the resistence but when I reviewed the schematic on the BT99 it appears that it simply helps to hold the rest of the hardware in place within the forend.

Any ideas??? All responses welcome.

Thanks.....Andrew

#2 ·
Using the proper thin blade screwdriver, See if the interior screws of the forearm are tight. (might be the problem) I have used that front screw to tighten things up when the forearm latch was opening on firing. Loosen inside screws and turn front screw 1/2 turn(try rt/or left) and retighten inside screws. Hope this helps. mb

#4 ·
Andrew,

I don't believe the BT's or any other Brownings rely on the forearm to achieve a tight lockup. The forearm has no provision to "tighten" the action. If lockup is loose then there's wear in the locking bolt. 13,000 don't seem like that much shooting to loosen up a BT though.... I know of many with far more rounds through them that are still tight.

As to why your gun is hard to open yet loose, sounds like there's something broken, worn, or real dirty in the action....perhaps a BB in the works? Hard to tell without removing the stock and performing a detailed diagnosis. Good luck in getting it sorted out.

KEEP SMOKIN' EM.... Dave

#5 ·
As mentioned, if the bbl wiggles while locked in the action, the lockng bolt needs rebuilding.

If there is some wiggle at the joinr roll, while the gun is open, the lug on the bbl needs to be built up and the forend refit.

As for the gun being hard to open...remove the stock and check the top lever screw. If it begins to back out, the locking bolt acuator, (the part with one long leg) can get cocked to one side, impeding the top lever from moving smothly.

Doug Braker

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.