1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

BT 99 hammer spring tool

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by TD1958, Mar 5, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TD1958

TD1958 Member

Does anybody sell a tool to assist in the changing of the hammer spring in a BT? One either boughten or home made? Thanks, Tim

2. SD.Maralube

SD.Maralube TS Member

Do you mean firing pin spring tool? I bought mine from Brownells. Works like a dream if you have an impact driver. I went through my BT-99 and replace every spring in it and the firing pin as well a few months back.

3. TD1958

TD1958 Member

No, actually the long hammer spring that has to be collapsed prior to removing it for replacment then again to put the new one in. Tim

4. SD.Maralube

SD.Maralube TS Member

You mean the dog spring, Yea, that ones a bitch... You basically need a buddy there for another set of hands.... It's awful

5. Johnny

Johnny Well-Known Member

easy to make

I used a welding rod. Notice the hole drilled into the end. Push the tool through the hole in the trigger housing and into the end of the mainspring guide. That helps keep everything in line while compressing the mainspring.

If you have a factory mainspring throw it away and buy one here from Jim Flynn.

6. TD1958

TD1958 Member

What diameter is it and what size hole in the end if you don't mind telling inquiring minds? Thanks, Tim

7. TD1958

TD1958 Member

What diameter is it and what size hole in the end if you don't mind telling inquiring minds? Thanks, Tim

8. TD1958

TD1958 Member

Sorry, must have flinched!! LOL, Tim

9. Oregunner

Oregunner Well-Known Member

I have used needle nosed locking pliers to grab the end of the spring, and then I have a good handle to compress it and lift it out. Mark

10. Johnny

Johnny Well-Known Member

5/32 welding rod. I beat the coating off with a hammer. I drilled a 1/8 in hole in the end about 1/8 deep.

Replace your top lever spring also. Be careful though, there is an insert in the end of the spring that will fly into orbit. Put a rag over it before you pry out the spring.

Like SD.Maralube said, "It's awful" I still have to put my belly against the handle of the tool to hold it in place. It gets easier after you do it a few times.

11. pulllit

pulllit Member

I have found that a valve spring compresser made for a lawnmower engine works best for installing the mainspring. KD Hand Tools number 379 Small Engine Valve Spring Compressor. The tool jaw can be adjusted to fit the mainspring sleeve keeping it contained while the spring is compressed.

NAPA, Advance Auto, Sears would be a good source. Around $30.

View attachment 195226

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

bt 99 hammer spring replace

bt 99 hammer spring tool

bt99 main spring compression tool

shotgun hammer spring compression tool

shotgun mainspring compression tool