1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

BT-99 Gunsmith needed

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Oscar Ray, Apr 10, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Oscar Ray

Oscar Ray TS Member

OK, My problem is this, I finally got the stock off my BT-99 project gun that I just purchased dirt cheap. What I found made me sick, the internals (springs etc) were covered with rust. I cleaned it the best I could but am not sure that it is good enough. I have decided to have it gone over completely by someone who knows what the heck they are doing and having the springs replaced and it cleaned professionally.

Who do you guys recommend to do this???? I do not want to send it back to Browning

Thanks!

Oscar

2. DecalDude

DecalDude Active Member

Where ya located Oscar? Some good smiths can do it or You can. Its a problem with some older guns. The old timers bought them they shoot great and well ifn it aint broke they didnt fix em.

I just tore apart my BT project(1979) gun as I wsa going to redo a paint work, to find 2 broken springs and the pin that holds the ejector broken.

These guns are work horses and well if it shot before you took it apart all is not lost. A few hours of cleaning and study you can disassemble it yourself and replace. I wont kid you it aint easy, but some Hoppes and KROIL you can clean it back up. Mines all apart heading for a new Flat finish blue job,new springs and fir pin too while its all apart.

Good luck a good local gunsmith should be able to help.

Jerry Lewis

3. arend003

arend003 Member

Doug Baker , the gun doc , does excellent work. He rebuilt a friends BT and it was great.
    Tom

4. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

The rust in a BT-99 is common. I used Gun Scrubber and a mall brush and cleaned mine up years ago, then sprayed w/Rem Oil and hung it up and let it drip oil out.

Are there any broken springs you can see? Did it work when you first got it and is it still working? If Yes.

Put the stock back on it and you are good to go

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot

5. Big Dave

Big Dave Member

Frank, bring the receiver with you next Tuesday, I'll drop it in the ultra-sonic cleaner. It will come out squeaky clean.

6. Stl Flyn

Stl Flyn Well-Known Member

Frank! Hmmmm.

7. Oscar Ray

Oscar Ray TS Member

stl flyn,

Yes, Frank, when I registered on TS, I used my given 1st name of Oscar, but my friends know me as Frank

8. Oscar Ray

Oscar Ray TS Member

Thanks Dave I will do that!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

american gunsmith bt-99

bt-99 gunsmiths

bt99 gunsmith

gunsmith and bt-99