1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

BT 99 Grade 6 need info (pics)

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by luvtrapguns, Aug 18, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. luvtrapguns

luvtrapguns Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Just received my new gun (new to me). It was described as a BT 99 Grade 6. I have been unable to find much useful info on it. From the ser# it seems to be a 1991 model year production (NZ). I tried to research Leo's and Etchen Specials but could find no photos or specs. Anyone have any input. It would be much appreciated.

[​IMG]

2. luvtrapguns

Sorry, I have not yet figured out this picture system but I'll keep trying.

[​IMG]

Another pic

[​IMG]

This picture system is maddening

[​IMG]

Another pic

[​IMG]

Last pic

[​IMG]

Anyone have any input as to what it is or value? Thanks, Marc

3. hunter44

hunter44 Well-Known Member

Looks just like mine! I think mine is a Leo's special. I see that your's is signed by the engraver on the lower left side of the receiver. I bet it has a 32" barrel too. Does your's have choke tubes?

As far as value is concerned, it is after all still a BT-99, won't do anything better than one of the plan Jane versions.......I would say you could receive between 1500 & 2000 if it's in really good shape

Nice gun.....enjoy.

4. spitter

spitter Well-Known Member TS Supporters

All I'll add is that my all-original '79 Pigeon (Grade 2) has identical engraving, except that my pigeons are silver like the rest of the action...

Other than my era Pigeon and the later day Pigeon, blued w/gold accents, the only higher grade I recollect from Browning was the Golden Clays... I believe this is one of Leo's...

Marc, send me an email and I'll send you a couple pics of my Grade 2

regards,

Jay

5. brownk80

brownk80 Member

Marc,

I have the same gun built about the same time (can't find the browning codes list I had). Mine is a 34" with a Timney Release in it. It has a monte-carlo comb that I had made adjustable and in very good shape as yours appears to be.

I spoke with Jaqua's some time ago because I understood they had had them made up. The gun is a pidgeon grade with gold inlays and very fancy wood and was done by the person who signed the receiver. Mine was done by M. Nozaki and signed on the same side but in the very back corner of the action. They use Invector chokes and are not ported. I don't know what kind of recoil system was installed but I don't believe it was orignally available with the gun. I was told they were made for Leo's and that Jaqua's partnered with them to sell some of the guns. It came with a Browning single barrel hard case and 3 chokes. They told me a couple of months ago that the value was between $2500 adn $3000. Mine shoots very well from the 27 and very soft as well. That is about all I have been able to find out about the gun and only know one other person who has one (now 2 others with you). If you like it shoot it, no point in having a closet queen and not letting anyone see it. I was told they only made 100 of them but I don't know for sure. It is much, much better looking in my opinion than the Grade 7's they are making now. Hope you enjoy yours as much as I have enjoyed mine.

Mike

6. SirMissalott

SirMissalott Active Member

If its a Leo's I believe it will be numbered under the release lever??

7. luvtrapguns

I too like the appearance of this gun better than the Golden Clays, although the GC is very pretty. Kind of like what do you like better, a stunning blond or a statuesque brunette. I can't find much fault with either.

This gun does not have choke tubes, but they would be nice. I intend to shoot it (well I hope). I will probably keep it forever or until my son talks me out of it (LOL). I bought a new BT 99 about 1973 (pd less than $400). I did not shoot it well but at that time I did'nt shoot anything well. Hopefully
    I have learned a thing or two since then.

The serial# is located under the top lever as well as three of the digits nicely engraved on top of the receiver just in front of the lever.

DOES ANYONE HAVE ANY HINTS AS TO THE BEST/EASIEST/SAFEST WAY TO REMOVE THE STICK ON CHEEK PAD?

Thanks to all, Marc

8. rick979

rick979 Active Member

The cheek pad.... I just removed one from a VERY expensive gun. Start at a corner with a hair dryer blowing on it (set to low heat)....as it begins to lift move the hair dryer to the next position and keep it moving. It will take about an hour and there will be a light film of adhesive on the stock. WD40 and lite rubbing with a soft cloth will take of the remnants of the adhesive. It is really quite simple. Don't be afraid to try it as those pads are ugly. Good Luck!! Rick..... Texas

9. luvtrapguns

Rick,
    Thanks, Marc

10. wireguy

wireguy TS Member

That pad is "stuck" to a liner and the liner is "stuck" to the gun. That one doesn't look worth salvaging so try just working a thumb against one part of one edge. If you can get any part started coming off the rest will slowly follow. They don't typically leave a lot of residue behind but you can do cleanup with alcohol. The alcohol won't touch a poly finish, which looks like what you have. Heat might help with the release but don't get carried away.

11. luvtrapguns

wireguy:

Thanks, Marc

12. luvtrapguns

To Hunter 44:
    Thank you for your input. I'm confused by your comments. I realize that fancy does not make a gun shoot better, but to me this is a thing of beauty. That makes it worth more to me than a standard version. What do you think this degree of fancy would add to the cost of a Perazzi, K gun, or others. I'll bet more than the value of this entire BT 99. It is my understanding, from reading this forum, that BT 99's with a little care will run nearly forever. If it goes BANG every time you pull the trigger I feel that is all you could ask of any gun. I have owned several Perazzi's and Ljutic's and honestly feel that I shot better with the P guns than anything else. I also feel that because I was expected to shoot better with the P guns (my own expectations) I put a more concentrated effort in breaking targets one at a time.

If your gun is at least as nice as this one and you would consider selling it for $1500 please contact me. My son would love having one like this. He even has a 1974 standard version BT 99 that literally looks as new. It is so tight it is still hard to open, and yes it is properly lubed (STOS). Perhaps a trade could be worked. Please contact by email or PM.

Thanks again, Marc

13. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

Check the countercoil, it appears to have blown out. I had one do the same thing on a citori, and it filled the stock with hydraulic oil....

14. luvtrapguns

Thanks, I'll check it right away. Marc

15. hunter44

To luvtrapguns:

I don't know why you should be confused, as I told you by PM, I purchased mine off gunbroker where thousands of customers had a chance to bid. I paid $1,700 just a year ago. Mine has an adjustable comb & adjustable pad & was in mint condition. So considering the info that you already had why would you ask me to sell it for $1,500?

If as you say you are going to shoot it forever, what makes the difference what the "value" is? If it is really bothering you why don't you put it on Gunbroker with a very high reserve & let the market answer your question?

Just what do you think the market value is?

16. Barrelbulge(Fl)

Barrelbulge(Fl) TS Supporters TS Supporters

Hunter, if you are looking for a TMX, I am looking for a BT pigeon, maybe we can make some kind of swap deal. BUlge.

17. hunter44

Thanks for the offer Bulge. I have been reading about the new TM9X on here & right now I have visions of saving my pennies for one of those.........looks like it is going to take a very tall stack of pennies however!

Hunter

18. luvtrapguns

Hunter,
    WOW, I really did not mean to get your feathers up.

I'm completely happy with my purchase. It bothers me not in the least what it's actual value is. Hav'nt you ever made a purchase and wonder if you made a good deal. Because there are such few of these around I could not find out much about them.

I thoght from your comments that perhaps you were not in love with the gun and as such may be willing to sell it for what you thought it might be worth ($1500-$2000). You did say "As far as value is concerned, it is after all still a BT-99". I gave it a shot, thats all. I had no intent to insult you or enter into some of the hostilities I have seen on this forum. Marc

19. letts

letts TS Member

I have a Leo BT 100 It has a number on the top of the release lever. big three digit numbers that is easy to read.
    I beleave that indicates the number in the series, also matches the SN.

Letts

20. luvtrapguns

Letts,
    Mine has the three digits of the Ser# nicely engraved in large letters just in front of the top lever. It appears that I may have a Leo's Special. Does anyone know the differences between a Leo's and an Etchen Special.

Thanks for your response. I really appreciate all the input from everyone.

Thanks, Marc

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.