1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

BT-99 Golden Clays overhaul....??

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by shoobedoo, Sep 27, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. shoobedoo

shoobedoo Member

I have an opportunity to buy a used 34" Golden Clays BT-99 for $1500, overall it's in pretty good condition and includes a Browning soft lined hardcase and a bunch of choke tubes. I do have some concerns and questions though, the gun has had two owners and from what I can tell has seen quite a bit of use, not abuse mind you, but the break open action is pretty loose now, the stock & forend have about a half dozen dings in the finish, there are a few spots of worn bluing, and the gold finish is worn off the trigger. I'm thinking it needs complete refurbishment, to include new springs, tightening the action (if possible..??) a new trigger (not the whole mechanism, just the gold trigger) some touchup spot bluing, and perhaps refinishing the stock and forend. is there someone out there that could do a complete overhaul on this gun and bring it up to more or less "like new" condition...?? If I could get the work done for around $500 or so I think it would be worth considering as a new Golden Clays would run about $3500, what do you guys think..??

2. BD457

BD457 Member

I think if you can get all that done for $500 and the work is good, please post the name of the person who did it.

Mike

3. Trap2

Trap2 Well-Known Member

shoobedoo..... Having taken several "project" guns such as you describe this one, and completely restoring them, I can tell you that Mike, above, is correct. Take a look at the F/S thread on "TM1/TMS, or Comp 4" for sale to get an idea of what you are in for. I totally restored Ed's gun, and had well over $1300.00 in it in restoration alone. Bought the gun for $250.00 as a beater. Just an educated guess, but, you can expect the following costs, plus or minus a few bucks.... All new springs about $50.00.. Tightening the action will be about another $100.00.... New gold trigger about $50.00, or have the existing one replated for about the same price... A total reblue job about $300.00 (Spot blueing is worthless and looks like just what it is: a cheap spot blue job).... Refinishing the stock and forend will set you back at least $300.00 and more if you want the checkering re-chased. You can expect at least $150.00 in shipping and insurance sending it back and forth for the work. As you can see, it adds up pretty quickly. If these figures are about correct, you now have roughly $950 in restoration for a used $3500 gun. You will probably want to replace the recoil pad on it if you want a "like new" gun, so add about another $75.00. Now you have about $1025.00 in it. Add this to the $1500 you paid for the gun and your in it for around $2500. Still not too bad for a $3500 gun you say? Now, bear in mind that a used, very nice BT99 Golden Clays gun can be had for about $2500.00 or so. See this info at:

http://www.pooshka.com/gun-value.php?poo_model_id=13331 or this

http://www.gunauction.com/search/displayitem.cfm?itemnum=8757852

or this one http://www.gunauction.com/search/displayitem.cfm?itemnum=8757852.

Unless you really want to do all the work to get the gun up to "like new" standards, and have the time to wait to have it done, it is still a used gun. Seems to me like it is not a really good deal after all, is it?.... Just my experience... Dan Thome (Trap2)

PS: I forgot to mention that it will probably need a new locking lug if it's as loose as you say, and that's going to cost you another $150.00 bucks or so.. Dan

4. over the hill

over the hill Active Member

Above information is as good as it gets.

I passed up a Citori Pigeon Sporting Clays that was in about the same condition.

Could have bought it for 800 bucks, but figured it would cost twice as much to make it nice.

Girl who bought it had some work done on the mechanicals and shoots it as is.

Regards....Gerald

5. shoobedoo

shoobedoo Member

Hey, I appreciate you guys giving me your honest opinions on this, that's why I posed the question in the first place, ie. to get feedback from those of you that have been down this road, and I do appreciate the replies. Seems like I would be better off spending the money on a new or "gently used" gun, rather than spending a lot of time and money trying to return a tired old gun to it's former glory, and then when it's all said and done it is still a used gun. Well, you can't blame a guy for trying, but thanks again for the comments and advice.

BTW, I'm already the proud owner of a newish 34" BT-99 White Satin, don't get me wrong, it's a fine gun and I couldn't be happier with it, but I like the bells and whistles that the Golden Clays offers, ie. nicer wood, Gracoil, etc. Some might say it's just "Bling" but to me the Golden Clays represents the "Cadillac" of the BT-99 line. I'm also kind of looking in to the possibility of a Krieghoff KX-5, it's a beautifully balanced gun that offers many of the same features as the Golden Clays, and still within my budget.

6. DecalDude

DecalDude Active Member

Take the money and have a gracoil put on your gun, and have the comb cut. Its the same gun as you already have. or just buy it have it rebuilt and deal with the cosmetics. I have a guy here locally that I will be posting his BT99 Golden clays for him. He bought it new this spring shot league with it NO ATA.He wants $2500 for it no case. So $1500 with a $150 case is decent deal if you can live with the cosmetics

Jerry Lewis

7. Mountainsteve

Mountainsteve Member

If you want to turn it into a new gun contact Midwest Gun Works in Pevely Missouri. Talk to Jason. You can get their contact info at midwestgunworks.com. They just did a 1969 Winchester 101 20gauge for me. It is now a brand new gun. My guess is more like $1000 to $1200. Talk to Jason and adjust your offering price accordingly.

8. kraiza

kraiza Active Member

I think you got a deal. Just get it tighten up and shoot it. You will like a good shooter with a little wear on the gun.
    Remember Trap shooting is 80% a mental game the rest of the 20% is you.
    Go for it.

9. Dr. Honk

Dr. Honk Member

I have a lightly used BT-99 Golden Clays resting in the safe that I would sell for $2,800. I would also include a Browning hard case if you are interested.

10. MDMike

MDMike Well-Known Member

I have owned a few "project guns" and have made out fine with them. However, what I paid for the gun was factored into what it would cost to put it into shape. I am able to do my own word work to a certain extent. Refinishing and rechasing checkering. Fitting the recoil pad. Metal work was done by a local gunsmith who I had a good relationship with. So I was lucky. I guess what I liked about project guns is that you don't have to put out the money all at one time to have a great gun.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
2009 shot show browning bt-99 white satin value

browning bt 99 golden clays review

browning bt 99 golden clays worth it
bt 99 golden clays reviews

bt 99 golden clays used

how much to reblue bt-99 action

used bt 99 golden clays

what is a bt99 golden clays shotgun worth