1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

BT 99 Forend wood removal

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by leftex, Jan 11, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. leftex

leftex Active Member

How do I remove the wood from the forend iron on an older BT? I have removed the 3 screws and the latch from the bottom, but the wood doesn't want to come away from the metal. I haven't tried too hard as I don't want to damage anything.

Also what is the age of this one? The serial No.is 37D2XXX, not 73D. I tried the Browning web site but couldn't figure out anything.

Thanks,
    Wayne

2. trapshootin hippie

trapshootin hippie Well-Known Member

Have ya taken the long bolt out of the front of the forend?

3. ljutic73

ljutic73 Well-Known Member

That long screw in the front of the forend has a very thin slot in it if I remember correctly so make sure you use a hollow ground screwdriver like one of Brownell's so as not to damage the slot. Beyond that it just may be that the steel is very tightly inletted into the wood, so be gentle.

Ron

4. leftex

leftex Active Member

Thanks for pulling my head out. I hadn't realized there was a bolt in the front end. Took out the bolt and now I can move the wood about 5/16" and then it feels like it hits something solid. What now?

Thanks again,

Wayne

5. JerryP

JerryP Active Member

Just so you'll know, the correct screwdriver bits are parallel sided not hollow ground.

6. leftex

leftex Active Member

Fortunately I have the correct screwdriver. The wood slides away from the metal about 5/16" and then stops moving. I used a small plastic mallet and a piece of wooden dowel and tried tapping on the metal, but it still will not move. Anybody have any suggestions?
    Thanks,
    Wayne

7. GunDr

GunDr Well-Known Member

The front of the forend iron needs to be raised a little for it to continue. Sometimes they like to be a little sticky.

Doug

8. leftex

leftex Active Member

Raised it slightly with a small screwdriver and it came right out. Thank you all for your help on my 1973 BT99.

Wayne

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.