1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

BT-99 forend shoots loose

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by napawino, Mar 26, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. napawino

napawino TS Supporters TS Supporters

I have a BT that the forend loosens up after a round or two of trap. This is and older gun with a fixed choke barrel. The problem started to show up after I lubed the entire gun. I removed the forend and oiled the barrel and forend. I noticed the forend getting loose shortly afterward. I cleaned all of the oil, there wasn's much, and it did not help. Thank you for any help you can give me.
    Fred Wiedemann

2. phirel

phirel TS Member

Fred- First make sure all of the forearm latch screws are tight. This requires a special thin blade screwdriver. If a latch part is worn, it could easily be replaced by you or an average gunsmith. I have difficulty figuring out how some light lubricant could be the cause of the problem. I hope the Gun Dr. gets on this thread. He is much more knowledgeable than me. And, unlike your family Dr., the Gun Dr. gives free advice.

Pat Ireland

3. GunDr

GunDr Well-Known Member

Fred,

What part seems to loosen? Is it the wood on the forend iron or is the complete forend assy moving around.

I'm going to take a guess that it's probably the wood you feel shifting on the iron. As Pat suggested, the screws need to be tightened. Don't forget about the one at the very end of the forend wood. This screw keeps the forend iron drawn up tight to the wood.

And yes, you do need a wide, thin bladed screwdriver.

Doug

4. Inspector 12

Inspector 12 TS Member

I have also found a drop of "Gun Tite" (a low strength loctite product) helps to keep the screw tight, but they can still be removed without heat or excessive force. I found the thin screwdriver bit on Brownells website and it works great. I think I bought the .320 wide by .025 thick. Brownells also has new screws if your get buggered up in the process.

5. JerryP

JerryP Active Member

If the screws are tight put some black electrical tape on the wood at the front where it touches the barrel and sees if that tightens things. The wood compresses after time. That tightened mine and I used acra- glas for a permanent fit.

6. darr

darr Well-Known Member

I second the tape if the whole thing is loose and the screws are tight.The same thing happened on my BT100 and the tape tightened it right up.

Darr

7. JWS

JWS Member

JerryP:
    After you tighten the screws on your BT99 take your electrical tape and wrap it around the forend and barrel about 4-5 times till nice and tight. This should hold that sucker forever. The problem with this is if you want to take your gun apart you have to cut all the tape off and then you need another role of tape to put it back together. This is the hill billy way of fixing a loose forend.

8. R. Hausburg

R. Hausburg TS Member

One thing I see no has mentioned... My BT 100 did the same thing. I took the latch apart and found the the link was not fully engaging the barrel lug. A little careful filing gave me full engagement. I believe the problem was years of use rounded the latch slightly. Once filed,and cleaned up, I have had no further problems
    Ray

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

bt 100 forarm loose

tighten bt 100 forearm