1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

bt 99 forend problem

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by jamie65, Jun 25, 2013.

1. jamie65

jamie65 Member

i'm having the following problem with a like new 1978 bt 99 comp style forend.the forend snaps on and of nicely and locks up tightly but after shooting 3-6 shells the forend pops off. I turn in the screw on the end of the forend but cant seem to get the forend to tighten up. do the three screws on the inside of the forend need to be loose before trying to adj the forend ? even through its a 1978 model it been fired very little maby 50 shells. any comments from the bt experts out there / thanks in advance.

2. jamie65

jamie65 Member

3. SL900LOADER

SL900LOADER Member

Ive had the same problem even though my bt99 is the new style, after talking with a gunsmith one of the things he recomended that i may try is to have two forend screws installed through the concave part of the forend bracket assembly,(screws facing forward like the barrel) this is how some high end guns are built, and even though you need a good gunsmith to perform this repair, it is a straight forward approach, with a simple and very strong hold keeping the wood permanently tight to the bracket.

If your forend latch is popping loose when shooting, loosen all three screws and you WILL find the that the wood is not completley but up against the forend bracket, mine looked like the wood was as far up as it needs, untill i did this and found out it was not perfect, and that little difference was causing my lever to come unlatched.

Now im sure someone here will pipe up telling me all about how wrong and stupid i am, (agian, good for you)but after seeing this on another gun(factory) i liked it.

4. Johnny

Johnny Well-Known Member

jamie65 , there is no actual "adjustment" with the screws. Tighten the screws. Adjustments are made by removing wood or adding to the wood. Sounds like the hook on the take down lever is not close enough to the barrel to engage the lug properly. If the bracket is too close, the forearm will be loose. Make sure there is no gunk at the front of the forearm where it touches the barrel.

5. jamie65

jamie65 Member

SL900,thanks for the comments.

6. jamie65

jamie65 Member

Jonny,thanks

7. GunDr

GunDr Well-Known Member

Definitely a latch problem. If the two mating angles are not correct, the latch can cam open from the bbl lig.

8. Johnny

Johnny Well-Known Member

The forearm wood is sandwiched between the forearm iron and the take-down bracket. That makes it an integral part. I think that is a mickey mouse setup. The wood should serve as nothing more than a handle around the metal.

9. jamie65

jamie65 Member

thanks for the input guys.