1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Bt-99 forearm question

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by ky4some, Feb 23, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ky4some

ky4some Member

Got my son a new BT-99 Micro. When we assemble the gun the forearm doesn't really snap into place. The forearm release lever still sticks out about quarter inch. Can't really push it in any further. Any advice?

Mike Kamer

2. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Tap on the forearm lightly but with some force with the palm of your hand below the lever. Do Not do it on the lever. It should snap in on it's own by doing this.

3. Johnny

Johnny Well-Known Member

Are the screws tight?

4. Franktri

Franktri Member

I have a micro too and the same thing happens. A light sanding on the inside of the forearm and make sure the screws are tight with some lube on the moving metal parts. In time, it will fit easier..

5. bob easton

bob easton TS Member

Brand new: it's tight! When mine was new it took a couple of "gentler taps" (on the muzzle end - toward the stock) to get it seated well enough to latch. Gets easier with use ... and don't be stingy with lube on the knuckle.

6. Rossi396

Rossi396 Member

Ditto what Bob said:

I was afraid to seat my forearm on my new 99 (not a Micro but I don't believe it matters). It's new and it's tight. I was afraid to touch it. A friend rapped it with the heel of his hand and it latched. I've probably shot at least a few thousand rounds through that gun in a year and it is still a BIT snug. I can just press it firmly with my thumb now. Be sure you're holding the forearm tight to the barrel when you snap the latch..

Tony in Pittsburgh

7. GW22

GW22 Active Member

Let me give you and your son some advice that many BT owners now wish they'd heeded. Wipe the receiver knuckle and its mating surface on the forend bracket clean every time you shoot it and then re-lube liberally with NAPA wheel bearing grease. Do the same for the hinge pin and its mating surface on the barrel hook. Never skip this. Tight Brownings like yours can gall badly in as little as one round of trap if not properly greased.

You've been warned.

I hope your son has fun and loves his Browning.

-Gary

8. Rossi396

Rossi396 Member

Gary:

Just out of curiosity, what will the grease do if you leave it on the knuckle? And I did write, "Ditto what Bob said." (Don't be stingy with lube on the knuckle). Wheel bearing grease works and that's what I'm using..Good advice.

Tony in Pittsburgh

9. grntitan

A BT 99 I bought very cheap off of someone who did not heed the galling warning. Owner did not believe in lubricating his gun.

[​IMG]

10. bob easton

bob easton TS Member

Tony, As I read what Gary said, I don't think he's suggesting that leaving the grease alone is harmful, ... that it's just better to replace it and be sure it is well lubed. Interesting coincidence: I use wheel bearing grease too. :)

--
    Bob Easton

11. ky4some

ky4some Member

Thanks for the replies. So wheel bearing grease is better for this application than regular gun grease? I'm a handgun guy so these guns are a little new to me.

Mike Kamer

12. JACK

JACK Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

USE WHEEL BEARING GREASE!!!!!

Make sure yo have it on the hinge pins, the forend/Receiver mating surfaces AND

The bbl lug that stuffs into the forend iron. Front and back.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

When yo put the forend on the gun give it a "SMACK" with your open hand against the bbl.Then squeeze the forend tightly as you push against the latch sticking out. It will go.

If after all that and it still does not work, write me and I will tell you a easy permanent fix off line/air.

Jack

13. JACK

A just FYI. I bought a new BT99 off the forum recently with a similar difficult attachment and I choose to use 10W-30W when I break in a BT99 or a tight Browning, and most are. the Oil allows for a bit of surface wear and then once the gun begins to respond I clean thoroughly and switch to WBG. I recommend Napa WBG for all Perazzis as well. Stuff flat out works without fail. I stuff it in syringes I get from the vet or vet supply store. Then apply it exactly where I want. Adn it stays in the syringe. I may have a pic of that, I'll look.
    [​IMG]
    YOu can see the syringe in the parts area.

Verks good Ollie.

14. bob easton

bob easton TS Member

Mike asked "So wheel bearing grease is better for this application than regular gun grease?"

Grease is constantly debated on this and the Shotgun World forum. From all my reading, I'm convinced that almost any clean grease will work. There are lots of varieties, many of which I believe exist only to get a premium price by declaring a special purpose.

Long ago I was a mechanic (before entering the realm of computer enginerds) and learned that wheel bearing grease is (1) very basic, not a special formulation, (2) intended for things that rotate, like a barrel on a knuckle, and (3) is inexpensive. That's enough for me. It's the only gun grease I use. Same with oil; 5w motor oil is good enough for the other moving parts, although Hoppes sure smells better.

--
    Bob Easton

15. JACK

Bob. I am looking for a ooil replacemnt oil to the Current rem oil. Too thin, but ok in my controlled environment. But what Hoppe's am I looking for? not the bore cleaner that smells like Chanel #5 for gun guys. What hoppes is that yu refer to?

16. grntitan

Jack,

I use the Hoppe's oil as well along with the Hoppe's grease. This shows what you are looking for. Good stuff. Has the great Hoppe's smell too.
    [​IMG]

17. ky4some

ky4some Member

Great info. Thank you. Off to my local Napa store tomorrow.

Mike Kamer

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

how to keep forearm tight on browning bt-99