1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

BT 99 forarm problem

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by countryboy, May 9, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. countryboy

countryboy TS Member

Is anyone else having trouble shearing the screw off in the forarm, also the rear wood screw will split the stock in the newer BT-99's. I have seen four different ones in our league's. Must be others with this problem?

2. vdt

vdt Active Member

i have seen that to ,i beded the wood to the iron

3. tom berry

tom berry Active Member

I had the problem on my son's. Sent it to Tom Larkin for a good and reasonably priced fix.

4. wproct

wproct Member

tom berry, can I ask how he fixed it? Thanks

5. JerryP

JerryP Active Member

I never had a problem with mine but have replaced the forearm wood. I epoxyed a brass insert into the new wood and used a machine screw like the other two screws. A wood screw has no place on a modern firearm.

6. tom berry

tom berry Active Member

drilled two holes through the back of the forearm iron and inserted screws into the wood through them.

7. kj king

kj king TS Member

What area are you in? Might know someone who can help.

8. wproct

wproct Member

Thanks, tom berry. I haven't had the problem with mine yet, but was just curious as to what the fix would be if I did. Thanks again.

9. Dr. Honk

Dr. Honk Member

BT 99 Golden Clays sheared off forearm screw. Fortunatley everything backed out and my gunsmith was able to retap the hole and replaced it with a machine screw he had at the shop.

Gun probably has less than 3,000 rounds through it.

Dr. Honk

10. Rem870TB

Rem870TB Active Member

Which one shears off?

One of the "Takedown Lever Bracket Screws" (machine screws) or the "Forearm Screw" (woodscrew)?, using the terms in the parts list.

I have been fortunate, so far, in 8,500+ rounds with my 2005 manufacture BT-99, at least with the forearm.

The post-2000 manufacture BT's do not have the "Forearm Bolt", running from the front of the forearm to the Forearm Bracket; I wonder if this contributes to the problems?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.