Trapshooters Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

BT-99 for handicap

3K views 13 replies 10 participants last post by  James.c 
#1 ·
I've got a 14 year old freshman high school trap shooter.

For his rookie season last year he used a Stoeger Comp Condor that was his older brother's back-up gun.

Now that I know he is interested in trap I'm looking to upgrade him with his own. His much bigger brother shoots an SKB 85TSS 34" Unisingle, and I've been happy with the SKB, however I'm thinking for my younger Son who is a bit smaller in statue of going with the 32" or 34" BT-99.

As many of you know, the BT-99 is a common gun at the range, however how is it at handicap? Based on my Son's scores last year, he'll probable won't be shooting past the 22 yd line very often.

Thanks in advanced for the advice.
Blueraven

P.S.- If someone has a good used B-99 with Invector barrel, I might be interested. I'm not interested in the "Micro", I want something to take him throughout high school and beyond and he is going to grow.

#5 ·
The only problem I have had with a BT 99 is that it required me to point the gun at the target each time if I wanted to break the target. Unfortunately, my K 80 has the same requirement. If you can point a BT 99 correctly, it is as good as any other gun on the line.

Pat Ireland

#6 ·
I've shot some of my better caps scores with my sons BT-99. Of course thats not saying a whole heck of alot though. LOL Great gun for everything but doubles which can be pretty tricky with a single shot.---Matt

#9 ·
Well Joe, he did finally get his 25 with your old SKB, but unfortunately I was out of town at the time and missed it.

He did well last season with the SKB with a 16 yd average of 79/100 and handicap average of an 81/100. I can't explain why the further back he went the better he shot. But it was a good enough average to varsity letter which he was stoked about.

Shoot me an e-mail on the SKB you're talking about, I might just be interest. You still have my e-mail don't you?

Blueraven

#10 ·
I bought a new BT99 in Feb. I had an adjustable comb & adjustable butt plate put on it to raise the POI as it was too flat for me. ( I recommend Tron for this work BTW ) It breaks clays from the 16yd line and the handicap distances just fine. Like someone else pointed out, my doubles scores are not very good with it either so I use a O/U for that.

I looked at getting a combo but the budget did not allow it and now since I shoot it so well, I probably won't.

#11 ·
Bt99 are great gun for the money I shot my first straight with mine that I had bought for my boy but hes not interested. I have shot it from the 23yrd line with good results. I use the full choke in it and it creams them. I also have a XT Ultra which I enjoy shooting BUT the Bt99 which I bought New November of 09 with 34in barrel and adjustable comb is for sale. I shot it half the winter league and 1800 registered and practice with it. It has some marks as it fell out of a rack at Eleysburg Pa state shoot. I would take $950.00 plus shipping for it. let me know if your interested can do pics.

Jerry Lewis

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.