1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

BT-99 Fixed choke can it be modified?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by QuillDesign, May 3, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. QuillDesign

QuillDesign Member

We are looking for a BT-99 for my son and I noticed there are a number of them out there that have fixed chokes.

If we buy one of those, can the barrel be modified to accept different chokes?

Also - what is the approximate price of doing something like this?

Trying to find him a gun that will take him fairly far without breaking the bank is pretty daunting ;)

** Additional question - what does porting actually do to the gun and is it recommended to get a barrel on a BT-99 ported?

Thanks

2. Big Dave

Big Dave Member

I've had Carlson's do several BT-99s for me, good, quick work at a fair price. Link is above.

Porting is supposed to reduce felt recoil and muzzle rise, I've never noticed a difference, but others will argue.

3. QuillDesign

QuillDesign Member

So if I am reading the two posts correctly:

Carlson's :
    Single Barrel Extended Choke Installation (12 GA & 20 GA)
    Includes three extended chokes and 2 wrenches $145.00

And Orlan is
    Choke tube installations $55.00

Seems to be a huge difference (or I am not reading right).

4. RickN

RickN Well-Known Member

I think there are more BT's with choke tubes than fixed. Just buy a tube gun if that's what you want.

If it were me I'd buy a fixed choke....full choke, and leave it alone.

5. miketmx

miketmx Well-Known Member

Over a 20 year period, I enjoyed owning and shooting 5 different BT-99s. I tried various chokes and discovered through trial & error that I shot my best scores and held the highest averages with Full choke guns. I believe that a more open choke merely has a weaker core pattern without adding any useful pellets to the outer fringe. If you buy a gun with screw in chokes be aware that Browning factory chokes are more open than other mfgrs. I would use IM for Singles and Full for Handicap.

6. QuillDesign

QuillDesign Member

Ok good information to know - he's currently 13 and in 7th grade - since he is shooting 16yd singles I wouldn't have thought that a full would be the right choke, and that a more open choke would be better.

So what I have heard twice now, is that a full choke BT-99 would be ok for my son (if the gun fits otherwise) shooting @ 16 singles.

Now to find that "right" deal ;) This has been such a learning curve - I want to give my son every opportunity (many rounds of shooting, good gun) .. so I don't want to keep jumping around.

7. Stl Flyn

Stl Flyn Well-Known Member

I would recommend fixed, full choke, NO PORTING. That way your son will develope good shooting skills without the doubt of what choke he should be shooting. It will make sure he is hitting the target in the center of the pattern. When fixed chokes were the only choice in trap guns, full choke barrel was the selected choke by far. It is my opinion that this is the only choke you need for all trap shooting games. Plus, if you decide later that you want chokes added, you can put thin wall chokes in it if it is full choke. Personally, I would rather keep the gun original.

BT-99, in the older model, (1970-1974) is the perfect starter gun for his age. It is light and comfortable for the young shooter. I would give him some slower, softer shooting loads to start out with though. 1100 fps or so. Just to keep the recoil down with that light of a gun. They still will break targets at 16 yds., no problem. Jon

8. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

Paul, I think You should buy a gun with choke tubes already in the gun.If you want a Browning, I would want the Invector Plus chokes as well. Most all brownings that come with the invector plus barrels will have reduced forcing cones to some degree and will also come with ported barrels. The porting does help with barrel jump after the shot. This will help even in a single barrel game to see the target better without lifting ones head up to see it. Also I think you might want to get him a O/U so he can shoot games that require two shoots as well. Doubles, skeet, 5 stand, sporting clays, can all be shot with one gun that has choke tubes. Also because of your sons age, I think you might want to look into a Precision Fit Stock from Vern (precisionfit@pcisys.net). Find out from him which browning shootguns he has a stock for. These are totally adjustable, so that as your son grows the stock can grow with him without you haveing to cut stocks and add pieces of wood to it a couple of 3 times until he is 18. You can get a used one today for around $800. Put the factory wood in a closit until your son stops shooting and you want to resell the gun. Then install the original wood and sell gun. Sell PFS seperately to get all your money back. They were selling for around $600 just a few years ago. So you could have made $200 on it just in the last 3 years, but who knows what the future will bring. My point is you will lose very little and the recoil reduction alone on this would be most helpful to your son as well. You don't have to get both the gun and the stock at the same time. Just something to think about. Best of Luck with both your shooting. Break-em all. Jeff

9. RickN

RickN Well-Known Member

10. Joe Potosky

Joe Potosky Well-Known Member

Porting is not needed...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
adding choke tubes to browning bt99
browning bt 99 chokes tubes
browning bt-99 with fixed modified choke
browning bt99 1973 fixed modified