1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

== BT-99 Fit & Finish?? ==

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by GW22, Oct 1, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GW22

GW22 Active Member

A kid at the club today wanted to shoot my gun so we swapped for a round. I was surprised when I looked closely at his BT-99. It was brand new and had a super-stiff action, but the gap between the left side of the receiver and the barrel went from 0 to about 0.012"-0.015" (increasing as it got farther from the hinge). At first I thought it simply wasn't closed up tight, so I opened and reclosed firmly. The gap was tight on the right side but still the same on the left. The wood-to-metal fit wasn't as nice as the older ones either. I'd be PISSED if I got stuck with a new gun like this.

Has the quality of BT-99s gone that far downhill, or was this just an anomaly? I hope it's the latter, because I was thinking about buying a new one next year as a back up gun & loaner.

-Gary

2. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

IMO - yes, I would not buy a newer one when there are so many older better made ones available

3. GW22

GW22 Active Member

I see nice used ones guys are asking $900-$1000 for, despite not having an adjustable comb. Why would I pay that when I get get brand new one with the adjustable comb for $1200?

Maybe I just answered my own question.

-Gary

4. Spanky

Spanky Active Member

They all don't fit like that. Some people just don't know what they are looking at when they are buying. None of my Brownings fit like that. Than again I wouldn't take one out of a shop like that.

5. GW22

GW22 Active Member

I hear ya, Spanky. I'll never buy a new Browning online after seeing that. I'll go over it with a fine-tooth comb right at the shop, even if it costs more.

-Gary

6. yakimaman

yakimaman Well-Known Member

I have a brand new satin BT 99 - fit and finish is perfect. Sounds like the kid got a bad one - If he's willing to be without it for months, he can send to Browning for a fix.

Rich

7. Stl Flyn

Stl Flyn Well-Known Member

Buy the older, barly broken in model and add a adjustable comb. It still would be better quality, and cheaper than the new ones, IMO. The older models had some engraving on them, making them a little more appealing also. The new standard models are plain as they come.

8. GW22

GW22 Active Member

Yeah, I'd be very curious as to whether Browning would acknowledge that it's defective and fix it. Neither the kid nor his dad had even noticed the problem, and the gun functioned fine. But that gap on one side of the receiver was at least 0.012" and it caught my eye immediately because it tapered down to zero. I wish I'd have taken a picture.

-Gary

9. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Gary,

In my opinion, the Browning comb hardware ain't worth a hoot. You'd be better off buying an older one in good condition and having Tron(or your preferred guy) put in a comb for you. I did that exact thing with my BT's although they are not the older good ones. Mine also have much better fit and finish than the one you described in the OP. I think the kid or his parents didn't know what to look for.

Matt

10. Sky Buster

Sky Buster Sky Buster TS Supporters

The new BT won't hold a candle to the older version with
    the engraved receiver. To many cast parts and an aluminum
    trigger instead of steel. Plain wood, plain receiver, plain
    ugly.

11. spitter

spitter Well-Known Member TS Supporters

The BT99 is a mass production gun - plain and simple... maybe this particular one squeaked through some lax QC! I see a lot of new BTs and we raffle one every year and for the money, its still remarkable what you get... Japan-produced isn't cheap.

Personally, I prefer an ejector gun... I have a late 70s Grade 2 Pigeon and recent SHOT Show special (extract-only) for use as a guest gun... IMO, the BT99 is still a great value in today's gun market.

Jay

12. dead on 4

dead on 4 Well-Known Member

When Browning/Miroku introduced the BT99 forty three years ago, thier target market was the working man or woman, the average Joe or Jane, a trap shooter who wanted a reliable break open single barrel trap that would allow he or she to be competitive on the trapline. This gun needed to be reliable, move well and above all be affordable.

Browning/Miroku hit a home run with BT 99, no other gun manufacturer has produced a single barrel trap gun that comes close to Their BT 99, no one!
    The BT 99 hands down provides the greatest value for dollars spent.

Things have change these past forty three years, manufacturing costs have sky rocketed, manufacturing processes have change. Cost contaiment is the number one problem for all manufacturers, Browning/Miroku can't escape this fact.

Browning/Miroku has never lost sight of their BT99 target market, the working class who's looking for value in a single barrel trap gun. Browning/Miroku's challange has and will continue to be meeting their target customer price while meeting the original goal of a quality single barrel trap gun. Thus far, Browning/Miroku have been able to maintain their target price through modern
    manufacturing, CNC, laser tracing, materials change etc., they omitted cost adding embellishments, engraving, higher grade wood, ejectors in lieu of extractor. None of these omissions change the function of how the BT99 performs, the gun does the same job it did forty three years ago, it breaks targets, after all it's only a tool........ And is still the best value for a SBT.

If you want a pretty BT99 with great wood and embellishments they have these also for more money, but they won't break targets any better... With the lights out, you tell me the difference........

Surfer

13. GW22

GW22 Active Member

Well Surfer I concur for the most part, but on the shotgun in question, even in the dark I could probably feel the gap between the barrel and the one side of the receiver.

The take-away here is to look the gun over very carefully before buying it, even if it's new. Even with CNC machining, a fixture can loosen, a stop can move, the final assembler can botch the job, or any number of other things can go wrong and the defective end product can get all the way to the consumer. That's obviously what happened with the BT-99 I saw.

-Gary

14. dead on 4

dead on 4 Well-Known Member

Gary,
    I've been a independent manufacturers representative for over forty years, representing hundreds of manufacturers throughtout my career, I can't tell you how many times a (world class) company has shipped junk to the market, never intentionally, it just happens. I learned long ago, if you're going to manufacture, you're going to have problems somewhere along the way, it's just fact, even with the best of the best.

Browning/Miroku haven't cheapened their product, they've taken none essential cost adding embellishments out of the equation leaving a well functioning gun in tact. The fact they've changed materials from steel to cast alloy doesn't detract from quality, it's just a different avanue to reach the same goal, allowing cost savings along the way just as CNC or any other modern manfacturing techniques. Miroku has built and continues to build world class guns and has from the get go, they don't build junk.

Your fellow shooter who has the out of tolerance barrel/receiver fit should contact the factory, the sooner the better. Not the selling dealer, the factory. They will advise how they want it handled.

No question the early 99's have more cosmetic features and appeal than current models, but those additions would add hundreds of dollars to current pricing.

In their present configuration the BT reminds of Perazzi's TM-1, both are plain and both will smoke targets as well as any gun.

Surfer

Surfer

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.