1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

BT 99 firing problem

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by gbt2, Feb 22, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gbt2

gbt2 Member

I have a recent problem with a BT99 not reliably striking the primer hard enough for it to fire....about 7 shots per round are light strikes. Ammo is factory stuff. I removed the stock and inspected the action, nothing was broken...it wasn't dirty, but I cleaned it just the same and the problem still persists. Any thoughts...

2. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Check the firing pin return spring, sometimes it can be hard to tell when it is broken. HMB

3. 100after9

100after9 TS Member

How many rounds have yu shot!!!! My suggestion is to change the firing pin your problems will be solved

4. GunDr

GunDr Well-Known Member

To get the firing pin out of the receiver, you'll need to purchase a bushing tool. The firing pin is held in place with a bushing in the face of the receiver.

Doug

5. gbt2

gbt2 Member

Thanks for the responses. I ordered the bushing tool from Brownell's.

Gold de (or anyone for that matter): What is the trick to removing the hammer spring. It sure looks like it is under considerable pressure.

gbt2

6. gbt2

gbt2 Member

Thanks for the responses. I ordered the bushing tool from Brownell's.

Gold de (or anyone for that matter): What is the trick to removing the hammer spring. It sure looks like it is under considerable pressure.

gbt2

7. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Factory stuff...........could be anything. There is another thread here stating that Gun Clubs had steel cups for a while, causing a lot of problems.

Maybe your problem is ammo.

HM

8. JerryP

JerryP Active Member

If you remove the trigger housing make sure the hammer is cocked or the spring will launch into orbit.

I have the bushing tool but have never used it. The bushing could be in as tight as my top lever dog screw. I had to lock the receiver into a drill press against the screwdriver bit, put a wrench on the bit then smack the wrench with a hammer. You can get replacement pins for the ones you will probably break on the bushing tool.

Please post the results

9. bill1949

bill1949 Well-Known Member

Brownell's Bushing Tool address above...Bill

10. gbt2

gbt2 Member

Update:

I put a whole can of carburetor cleaner through the firing pin hole and in the action accompanied by compressed air. I shot 50 rounds through it without a single light strike. When my bushing tool comes I am going to see if I can get the bushing removed and clean it out more thoroughly.

Thanks for everyone's help.

gbt2

11. Easystreet

Easystreet Well-Known Member

After using the carb cleaner, be sure to give it a light coating of lightweight gun oil because the carb cleaner will remove all the oil/grease.

Easystreet

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.