1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

BT-99 Ejectors?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by kene, Aug 15, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kene

kene TS Member

The ejector in my early BT-99 has all of a sudden become intermittent ... sometimes it ejects and sometimes acts like an extractor. happens with both reloads and new shells. cleaned and lubed and it seemed to work OK with snap caps and the first dozen or so shots -- then it quit ejecting again for about a dozen or so shots -- then back to working properly . is disconcerting when trying to get a rhythm going. tried the clean and lube [lightly] routine several times with same results. any ideas about what I can do before sending it away and going without a gun for a month or so??

thanks

2. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

As I can recall the ejector trip rod is likely worn. Judicious use of a hammer for streching the rod slightly is the usual fix. You're testing my gunsmithing memory though!!

3. Automan

Automan TS Member

Or put it in a vise and staighten the curve a bit to lenghten the trip rod...should fix it. jc

4. Stl Flyn

Stl Flyn Well-Known Member

Take the stock off and look at the ejector rod. Sometimes the little disk will break loose from the rod. The rod becomes worn at the forend iron and jets forward farther then it should banging the disk into the guide groove on the receiver, when the hammer spring sleeve hits the ejector rod forward. If that disk is still attatched, then do as stated above, take a little bend out of the rod, until you can replace it. The new rod has to be bent and the flat end ground sometimes to fit. Not very difficult though. When you take the stock off, take a close-up picture of the left inside receiver. That way you can reference it, when you put the rod back in.

5. kene

kene TS Member

thanks for the hints -- took the rod out and it seemed to bind / hang a bit so polished it a bit with crocus cloth, lubed with a little STOS and re-assembled -- seems to be working now at least with snap caps. I am not confident enough in my gunsmithing ability to do much more than that -- if it continues to act up will bite the bullet and send to someone for a 50,000 mile service -- gun was made in 1073 - I bought it new but it had little use for about 25 years -- getting shot more now.

OK -- who / where is good place to send it for work that will get it done in a reasonably short time period as well as have good workmanship [that may be an oxymoron]?

appreciate all the comments

6. GunDr

GunDr Well-Known Member

The rod should drag a bit in the hole. The friction keeps it in place once it has been mechanically moved forward or back.

7. Hoosier Daddy

Hoosier Daddy TS Member

Wow kene! 1073? Really should not be shooting that gun. It belongs in the Smithsonian Institute. Just Kidding.

8. kene

kene TS Member

GunDr -- it still has some friction -- there was what looked like pitting / corrosion on it when I pulled it out so just polished enough to smooth that down.

Hoosier Daddy -- saw my phat phinger after posting and wondered what comments I would get ... I feel like I should be the one in the Institute

9. JoeE1

JoeE1 TS Member

The Gun Dr. is a good place to send it to.

Joe

10. Mike

Mike Member

Or you can take the rod out and it will be in extract only mode, Mik

11. kene

kene TS Member

Mik -- good idea -- had not thought of that. I like "eject" better than "extract" but will go to "extract" if it is still inconsistent until I get the gun serviced.

kene

12. Mike

Mike Member

If "disc" breaks off and wedges just right action will not open all the way. I would take rod out until gunsmith can replace rod, Mik

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.