1. We have added the ability for anyone to 'bump' threads that they have created. This is mainly useful in the classifieds area where posters constantly bump for sale threads to bring it to the top. This allows them the ability to do that without having to clutter the thread with extra 'TTT' and 'Bump' type posts. To bump it, go inside your thread and click on 'Thread Tools' at the top, then select 'bump'. You can bump only once per 24 hour period.

For more detailed information please see this post: Thread Bump Functionality.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

BT-99 Competition Sold!

Discussion in 'For Sale- Members only' started by Stl Flyn, Sep 14, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Stl Flyn

Stl Flyn Well-Known Member

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0

A Browning BT-99 with a 34" fixed full choke barrel. This is the "High" shooting model manufactured in 1992 (NY). The metal is 99%. The wood is very nice for standard wood and is in very good shape as far as nicks are concerned. It does look like the finish is blistering by the receiver as you can see in the pictures. There also seems to be cracks right at the corners, of the top of the receiver on both sides. Can't tell if it is in the wood or just the finish. Seems like an odd place for cracks. Has been shot, so the barrel falls open when top lever is released. Action is still tight. Just broken in. Asking $795 or offer, shipped. Thanks for looking. Jon
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Stl Flyn

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0

3. Hoosier Daddy

Hoosier Daddy TS Member

0   0   0

Can you tell me how high the rib is at the muzzle?

4. Stl Flyn

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0

Muzzle is 3/16", and at the middle of the forend it is 7/16" from the top of the barrel.

5. v-strom 650

v-strom 650 Member

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0

6. Johnny

Johnny Well-Known Member

0   0   0

If that is a high shooter my 2004 model is even higher. 1/8" at muzzle and 7/16" at barrel lug. Even allowing say, 1/32 for measuring error at the rear, it won't be higher. With the evidence I have seen so far, the "high shooting" BT is a myth.

7. Stl Flyn

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0

Johnny,

Is that a monte carlo stock?

Jon

8. SeldomShoots

SeldomShoots Active Member

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0

Jon,

Is there an RR in the serial number?

9. Johnny

Johnny Well-Known Member

0   0   0

If that is a high shooter my 2004 model is even higher. 1/8" at muzzle and 7/16" at barrel lug. Even allowing say, 1/32 for measuring error at the rear, it won't be higher. With the evidence I have seen so far, the "high shooting" BT is a myth.

10. Stl Flyn

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0

Johnny,

Is that a monte carlo stock?

Jon

11. SeldomShoots

SeldomShoots Active Member

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0

Jon,

Is there an RR in the serial number?

12. Johnny

Johnny Well-Known Member

0   0   0

Jon, no, straight stock , no adjustable comb. Plain BT

I suspect any difference is in the comb and that is why you are asking, of course.

13. Stl Flyn

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0

Luvs,

It is NY, 1992. Large forend, and the monte carlo stock on the Competition models is what makes them shoot higher than the older small beavertailed forend with straight stock models. When I mount this gun there is space between the beads. I am going to pattern this gun and the older model Tuesday just to see the difference. My thread description says "High" not "Highest".

14. Hoosier Daddy

Hoosier Daddy TS Member

0   0   0

Well Johnny, my guess is you haven't seen all of the evidence. A 1976, 1977, 1978 or a 1979 competition BT99 shoots high from the factory. The factory adds said the '76 and '77 shot 10" high at 40 yards and the '78 and '79's shot 9" high at 40 yards. The BT's with RR, RP, RT and RN are high shooters. I know that for a fact. I have a two barrel set of the RP competition model and it shoots at least 80/20. Both of the ribs on my barrels measure 1/2 inch at the highest point on the breach end and tapers down to 1/8 inch at the muzzle. By the way Stl Flyn, nice looking BT and a very good price.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. Stl Flyn

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0

16. Stl Flyn

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0

The results are in between the Browning Competition BT-99, and the Standard Original 1972 BT-99. Neither gun has been modified from original. Test included two (2) shots of identical shells with 7 1/2 lead, at 40 yds. Both guns have fixed, full choke, 34" barrels. I mounted the gun the same in a standing position and aligned the beads as far as centering that was it, no stacking. I put the bead on the target and moved the gun forend and hand over to a solid in the ground upright steel 2 1/2" pipe, 1/2" in distance from original mount to steady my aim, and squeezed off the shots. The Competition Model as advertised above came very close to as stated measuring the outside pellets of the pattern excluding the single flyers, then centering the measurments. Results; Competition model patterned 8 1/2" high of target center, Standard 1972 Model patterned 8 3/8" high of target center. My non-scientific conclusion is, there is not a damn bit of difference in point of impact between the two models. Alright if you want to be exact, there is a 1/8" difference at 40 yds. So as Johnny stated above, it is a myth, IMHO. Jon
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

17. Hoosier Daddy

Hoosier Daddy TS Member

0   0   0

Jon, if you ever get to compare your BT's to a real BT99 competition then you will see that it is not a myth. The 1992 BT's were not the competition models. The competitions were only made with the letters in serial number that I posted above and were made in "76, '77, '78 and '79. I know absolutely the RP, RR, and RT's shot high and have been told the RN's also shot high although I have never personally shot the RN model. I have owned 4 1972 BT's and just sold one to joe90t. They all shot around 60/40 which is where most of them shoot. Just sayin'.

18. Stl Flyn

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0

Hoosier,

Did you ever pattern them on a board, and measure the pattern to find the center, then measure the center to the target?

This gun is a Competition Model. POI does not make it a different model. It is the same gun as in your posted ad. I am not sure what you mean by "Real".

I understand the "R" models where supposed to shoot higher. Even if it was 10", does that make them a higher shooter, or enough to categorize them as such? 80/20 is still considered a high shooter. That is what my 1972 patterned at, in my testing. My wording in my thread is "High" not "highest" shooter. Maybe I have different cheek bones, but I used the same cheek on both guns.

Anyway, at least if anyone is interested they know it is a BT-99 and they know the POI. Jon

19. JACK

JACK Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

Rating - 100%
    37   0   0

The 77-78-70 models were higher shooting "competition" models. '77 began with Browning copying the POI du jour or 100% and they sold well. But guys could not shoot them and because of complaints, they moved the POI down in '78 and again in '79. After that they were back at a stacked bead 60/40. Including this gun of Jon's. Regardless, why this gun is still on the board escapes me.

20. Stl Flyn

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0

And there it was, gone.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.