1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

BT-99 Competition (POI Results)

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Stl Flyn, Sep 21, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Stl Flyn

Stl Flyn Well-Known Member

Click on the link above for results of the POI comparison of the BT-99 Competition and the Standard 1972 BT-99.

2. Hoosier Daddy

Hoosier Daddy TS Member

There were only 4 years that the high shooting competition model BT99's were made and 1992 was not one of them. The high shooters were made in 1976, 1977, 1978 and 1979. Your 1992 is not a high shooter and was not advertised to be a high shooter. The square forearm does not mean that it is a competition model but I am certain there is no way to convince you of that unless you compare your 1972 to one of the RR, RP, RT or RN models. I didn't point this out earlier in this thread because you were advertising your gun as a high shooting competition model and I didn't want to ruin a sale for you if someone wanted to buy it based on that on that description. Believe me when I say there are high shooting BT's and they were made with the serial numbers I posted. I believe your results of your test to be absolutely true given the guns you were comparing.

3. Stl Flyn

Stl Flyn Well-Known Member

What year is that ad from that you posted? In that ad it is written that the Competition Model shoots 9 inches high at 40 yds. My tested 8 1/2" is pretty close. Isn't the Competition Model the larger forend, with monte carlo stock? I know that the "R" years where supposed to be high shooters, but I guess you have to describe what high is. These are 80/20 if not closer to 90/10. The "R" models must shoot 12" high or more then. 100% plus. I guess I have to go find the "R" model and see what gives. I am thinking the Competition model is the same gun no matter the year. I have a hard time believing that Browning made these guns with different rib heights on purpose, for different POI. If so why didn't they sell them as such? Jon

4. Hoosier Daddy

Hoosier Daddy TS Member

They did sell them as such. The adds I posted were from 1978. I am not looking for an argument. I have owned and shot BT99's for a lot of years. As I stated I have not owned or shot a RN model but I have owned the other three models and currently own an RP two barrel set. It shoots much higher than a conventional BT. As I said, I don't doubt your guns shoot in approximately the same place at 40 yards since they are not the high shooting models. POI is an objective and elusive thing. The way a gun is mounted and the shape of the face and head play a major role in determining POI. I don't have any info on the method used by Browning in how they determined POI for the comp models. I have a lot of practical experience in shooting them however. Good luck with your guns and your shooting and someday if you get a chance compare one of them to one with the RR, RP, or RT serial numbers I am sure you will be surprised.

5. miketmx

miketmx Well-Known Member

In a 1976 American Shotgunner Magazine there was a feature cover article on the then new BT-99 Competition Model. The article stated that the gun was designed to shoot 10" high at 40 yards. Browning lowered the POI after a couple of years to be more user friendly for the non-27 yard shooter.

6. Hoosier Daddy

Hoosier Daddy TS Member

Yes they lowered it from 10" high to 9" high for the 1978 and 1979 models.

7. jrw136

jrw136 Member

OK, I have a BT-99 with two barrels. The serial number on the receiver is 04158RB199. One barrel, full choke, has 04518 stamped on it, the other, modified, has 03033B. The ribs on both appear to be the same. It has the Monte Carlo stock and a long tang. My questions are: Browning says my serial number is supposed to end in 149, why does mine say 199? Why are the numbers on the barrels different (I suspect the 03033B is a later add on barrel)? Would this gun be considered one of the “Competition” models this thread addresses? And if so how does that affect its value?

8. jrw136

jrw136 Member

The serial # should be RP, not RB. Sorry, I'm typing in the dark.

9. smoke-um

smoke-um Active Member

Bt99 experts i have a question i have had two RR model BT's they did not shoot that high for me but they did shoot higher than the newer models but i tried a RR model 32" barrel and it shot over the moon why would the 34" barrel shoot lower than the 32" ???????

10. miketmx

miketmx Well-Known Member

I bought a BT99 Competition 2 barrel set brand new and the receiver and both barrels had the same serial number but one barrel ended in A and the other in B.
    The POI was great for a Trap Gun and considerably higher than other BT99's I owned but I have no details in inches.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

bt-99 competition

bt99 stock sets for competition