1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

BT 99 close fire...

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Frank C, Aug 12, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Frank C

Frank C Well-Known Member

I had heard rumors about the BT99 being prone to firing when closing the action, but I never saw it till last night, happened more than once too, no fingers near the trigger, so what is the likely cause, or are there many possibilities? not my gun so I cannot "open it up" for a look....FC

2. steele

steele TS Member

That happened to the better 1/2s gun years ago. I was loading Red Dot at the time, & when we took the stock off, the trigger/hammer area was packed with little RED DOTs. I was told, the Red Dots do not burn. There are only an identifier for the powder. It would only take a few minutes to pull the stock & look inside. Might be a real easy fix. Butch Novak

3. oldgahchamp

oldgahchamp Active Member

This happened to me over 35 years ago. I was shooting some practice with my BT-99 and when I closed the gun it fired. I opened and closed the gun 4 or 5 more times and each time I could hear the hammer drop. After I no longer heard the hammer drop, I loaded up and continued practicing. I shot that gun for several more years and it never happened again. I have seen this happen to others but it's rare. Thankfully everyone is safety conscious and barrels are pointed in the right direction. Larry Evans

4. JerryP

JerryP Active Member

Guns are not maintenance free. I am amazed at the number of people who have never removed their stock after years of shooting.

5. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

I have seen it happen. It could be anything from the need for a good cleaning to some more serious repairs. I would STRONGLY suggest soliciting the services of a QUALIFIED gunsmith. It's a dangerous situation and nees to be resolved.

6. texola

texola TS Member

the sear notch in the hammer has something in it . it needs to be taken completly apart to get this done right .not just blowen out with air and solvent!gun smith time! the earler the bt-99 the smaller the notch is in the hammer. the later bt-99 has a notch with a hole across it so more crud can build up so this will not happen as often.

7. Rastoff

Rastoff Active Member

This is most commonly called a "slam fire". My 1977 BT-99 did this and the cause was a flake of powder on the hammer sear.

I took off the stock and blew it out with air. I examined the internals closely with a magnifying glass to be sure I got it all. Then I replaced the stock and had no more troubles for several thousand rounds.

I sold the gun and the new owner also put several thousand rounds through it with no trouble.

8. neofight

neofight TS Member

So, is this common with BT 99s or with other models as well?

9. td_ict_ks

td_ict_ks TS Member

sear engagement....easy fix

10. ExFedex

ExFedex Active Member

Had one that did that about 30 years ago and it was as Muzzleblast states. Red Dot got back into trigger mechanism, mixed with grease around the sear that hardened over time and caused sear to disengage on closing. overcoming a childhood trauma of being in the same room when my Dad took the buttstock off his LC Smith one night I pulled the stock off my BT-99 and gave it a thorough cleaning using carb cleaner. Relubed and all was fine.

11. davidjayuden

davidjayuden Well-Known Member

I'll bet there is a story here...

"overcoming a childhood trauma of being in the same room when my Dad took the buttstock off his LC Smith"

dju

12. himark

himark Well-Known Member

Guy on our spring leauge squad had his do this. Closed it a couple more times with same result. Took it to the gunsmith and it was a broken spring in the trigger group. Browning has a lifetime warranty on this and did all the repairs at N/C.