1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

BT 99 beavertail forearm problem

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by T.A.K., Jul 20, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. T.A.K.

T.A.K. Member

I've heard the BT-99 beavertail style all have problems with this.

I'm not sure how old my gun is but I seem to have problems with the forearm. I had a problem where the wood and the metal part of the forearm would begin to separate and slide and the latch would pop up after every shot I took. I had a friend fix it from sliding apart and it's still staying together pretty good (he said the screws were horribly bent so he put new ones in and fixed it up) but again I keep having the problem where the latch keeps coming up when I'm shooting.

It's not too major a problem, it's just distracting when I'm shooting. I'm not sure if its a major issue either that I should take it to a gunsmith or not.

I've tried cleaning it out, thought it might have been too much oil inside or something catching on it, that doesn't seem to help either. Both of the screws are tightened too.

Any thoughts or suggestions?

2. Straight50

Straight50 Member

Doesn't your forend have a bolt going through a hole drilled in the front of the wood? Everyone I have seen has a hole with an escutchon countersunk into the wood, which the bolt head fits into. The shaft of the bolt then go,s through the forend and threads into the front of the forend iron. This bolt pulls the iron forward horizonally and secures it from lateral movement, the two wood screws pull the iron down and secure it from vertical movement. Is yours not like this? This may or may not be the problem. If the gun has been shot excessively, the latch may be worn. If so, this is not a major problem, as the latch is available from Browning and is easily replaced. Go to the Browning website and to their exploded view of your gun and you will see the long bolt and also the latch assembly I reference above.

3. Fiercepearce17

Fiercepearce17 TS Member

I also have had problems with my beavertail forearm. My problem though, is the forearm screws have worn out the holes in the wood therefore the forearm moves back and forth in my hand when I close the gun.(why Browning thought putting the screws straight into the wood inside of having an insert for them to screw into is beyond me) It actually shifted so bad that I sheared the screwhead off of the smaller of the two screws. I have heard that the fix for this problem is putting brass inserts into the screw holes so the screws have something to bite onto. These inserts might help with your problem.

4. T.A.K.

T.A.K. Member

I really don't know too much gun lingo, but what everyone is describing seems to fit perfectly to what I am trying to explain is the problem. The worn screws were a problem, but that's been fixed on the forearm. It doesn't move anymore, it's just the latch now that is giving me problems. I think the latch might have just got worn from all the jarring thats gone on from shooting and like the screws they just need replacement.

Thank you everyone!

5. dds4horse

dds4horse Member

I recieved my BT-99 back from browning the other day. T.A.K I had the same problems as you and another thing you may have or will notice is a cheek slap. Eventually what happens is those screws will shear off and the forearm wont go back on. I bought my gun used and they offered a lifetime warrenty on it and they had to send it to Browning and it was there since March 9th and like I say it just came back last week. I was conserned that there was alot of play in the forearm but now it is nice and tight. Good luck with it. oscar

6. T.A.K.

T.A.K. Member

The guy who worked on my forearm said those screws were just in awful condition-bent and such. I've also heard that Browning takes a long time as far as gun servicing is concerned. I bought my BT off a club member when I got it so I don't know about warranty anyways. Do you think I'd be better off just taking it to a gun smith? I've trusted Chris Vendel to do all the work on my guns in the past so I figured it'd be no problem for him to fix. I was just wondering if all and all if it was something more serious I should get fixed right away or if it can wait until the end of the main ATA season.

7. Johnny

Johnny Well-Known Member

Does the latch close completely when it forearm is installed?

8. T.A.K.

T.A.K. Member

Yeah, it closes when I'm putting the gun together. It'll pop down when I shoot though and is distracting since I hold the forearm right about the middle (a little forward more) where the latch is.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

browning bt 99 bent forearm screws

browning bt 99 forearm repair

browning bt 99 forend assembly issue

browning bt99 forearm wont latch

bt-99 forearm wont close

how to keep forearm tight on browning bt-99

how to put bt 99 forearm together

replacement bt 99 forearm and iron