1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

BT-99 barrel size at end

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by vodkanockers, Aug 11, 2013.

1. vodkanockers

vodkanockers TS Member

I just got an older 1979 BT-99 an Browning hard case, and was wondering what the barrel size should be on it at the end. It is a 34" barrel, an with my Mitutoyo calipers it checks exactly .705. Does this sound right? Full choke?

Thank You
    Ron B. in The Ozarks

2. Duck

Duck Member

When you open the gun on the left side rear of the barrel it usually
    gives the length like 34* or 34*- Well my 77' has it, I believe the single
    asterik is full the other shown for IM. I also have .022 less ID diameter
    at the muzzle on mine.

3. Perazzi_MX8

Perazzi_MX8 Well-Known Member

No, it has been opened up. My 1979 BT-99 measures .725" bore and .681" at the muzzle and is an original 34" barrel that was never altered. It is marked with * indicating a Full choke. Maybe yours has been back-bored as well and could still be a full choke. Measure the bore size it currently has and subtract the muzzle size to determine the amount of constriction. Good luck!

4. vodkanockers

vodkanockers TS Member

I checked the barrel on mine where you said an it had 34*- The owners manual said it is an Improved Modified with that marking.

Thanks for the info, I guess I missed that in the manual when I skimmed through it.

Thanx,
    Ron

5. vodkanockers

vodkanockers TS Member

I checked the barrel on mine where you said an it had 34*- The owners manual said it is an Improved Modified with that marking.

Thanks for the info, I guess I missed that in the manual when I skimmed through it.

Thanx,
    Ron

6. vodkanockers

vodkanockers TS Member

sorry, double post

7. Shooter R

Shooter R Active Member

Unfortunately, it will not be an accurate determination of your choke to just measure the "end" with a calipers. You really need to measure the bore, and the max constriction to get a "number". And in the end it is only a "number".

Many good Trap Clubs, and some sporting goods stores have bore mics. Usually .032 will deliver "Full Choke", which is often defined as a 70% pattern at 40 yards with quality shells. That you will have to prove at the pattern board for your gun and loads.

8. BT-100dc

BT-100dc Active Member

Not factory full choke. My 1979 gun has a .725 tube and .697 at the maximum taper of the choke; the markings are * over a -; i.e., improved modified. If the barrel marking are ** then it's factory modified. I've measured one marked modified gun from 1979 (RN's) and the tube was .725 and the maximum taper was .705 so the conclusion that I made for those two guns were that Browning (Miroku) actually made these guns on the tight end of the i.d. range. I used a long barrel mic for the measurements. BT100dc

9. vodkanockers

vodkanockers TS Member

This gun is almost like new, i.e. hasn't been shot more than a few hundred rounds. So I would imagine it hasn't got much wear to it.

I'm to broke now to buy a different barrel, so I will have to live with what I have now.

Around here in The Ozarks all we have to shoot is the federal target loads that are 3dram 11/8oz 71/2shot that comes from wally world.

Thanks,
    Ron

Search tags for this page

browning bt99 barrel bore size

1979 browning bt 99
bore measurement of bt-99
browning bt99 bore diameter
browning bt99 improved modified

bt 99 barrel bore dimension

bt-99 barrel choke marking
bt-99 max owner manual