1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

BT 99 Barrel Issue?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by majesticman, Sep 20, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. majesticman

majesticman TS Member

Hi
    I purchased a used BT99 a few years ago. It was made in 1974. Wile at the trap range this last weekend, an old timer was looking at my gun and very seriously cautioned me about an issue with my barrel. As you can see in the picture, there is a symmetrical flare near the end of the barrel. He seemed to think it was the result of a firing issue at one time. I looked at it carefully and grew concerned for my safety, so I started looking for pictures online of BT99 barrels. I looked at as many as I could find, and found no other pictures with this flare. As I said, this flare is perfectly symmetrical around the barrel, so much so, I would have always guessed it belonged there.
    I am wondering if I do have an issue I need to address. I am asking here because I live in an are with very FEW gunsmiths, so I really have no professional to look at it for me.
    Bottom line, do I have an issue here, or is the barrel made this way and I just can't find the right picture.
    Thanks very much for any help you can give me.

Lou
    majesticman_2012_17091.jpg

2. warpspeed

warpspeed Member

Have you contacted Browning's Customer Service ? the number is 800-322-4626 x2860

BTW - my BT99 does not look like that but it is only a few years old FWIW.

3. Johnny

Johnny Well-Known Member

What does the inside look like? Has someone added choke tubes.

4. likes-to-shoot

likes-to-shoot Well-Known Member

Does the rib bump up at the flare?

Are you sure its an orginal Browning BT-99 barrel?

5. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

After market barrel. HMB

6. BD457

BD457 Member

I have a 1978 and there's no flare like that at all. Does the lug at the back of the barrel have browning markings?

Mike

7. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

Looks like some sort of choke modification. Either an accommodation for screw chokes, or a permanent sleeve attached to the barrel to modify the constriction. Way too perfect to be damage. I wouldn't worry about it.

8. RWT

RWT Well-Known Member

I am with skeet man, looks like some kind of modification or aftermarket barrel

9. majesticman

majesticman TS Member

Hi
    Thanks for taking the time to help. To answer a few of the questions you posed- the rib is perfectly straight and shows no signs of a bulge. Also, the barrel says Browning and looks like the expected engraving, and I can feel no bulge or irregularity on the inside of the barrel.
    Thanks again for the help!!

Lou

10. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

Whoever did it performed a nice job

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.