1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

BT-99; Am I thinking Right?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by JD Jake, Sep 23, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JD Jake

JD Jake Member

I've been shooting trap for about four years. I currently shoot a Browning XT and want to get a single bbl trap gun.

I'm leaning toward getting a BT-99-AR (adjustable rib) that Browning makes exclusively for one or two gun shops. The starting price is $2k, and an adjustable comb and porting costs extra.

To get a different new single bbl break open, I'd probably have to spend at least $1,500 more (total of $3,500) and it wouldn't necessarily have an adjustable rib. I'm not convinced the extra money for a higher priced gun would pay off in terms of increased quality, etc.

I'd appreciate people's thoughts on this.

Thanks,

JD

2. RobertT

RobertT Well-Known Member

Bought an XT and had it modified to my liking. No looking back, couldn't be happier. Could have spent thousands more and not gained a thing.

Robert

3. wireguy

wireguy TS Member

For the money I just don't think you can beat Browning's target shotguns. What few problems ever arise (lower firing pin) are so well known and the fix so cheap, for the average person or a first serious target shotgun I think they are a great deal.

4. StonewallRacing

StonewallRacing Well-Known Member

Jake,

Who sells the BT-99 AR?

That doesn't ring a bell to me....

SW

5. JD Jake

JD Jake Member

Monsoors in Wisconsin. They advertise the BT-99-AR in Shotgun Sports.

6. Beretta Young Gun

Beretta Young Gun Active Member

Sportsmans den here in ohio sells them as well. but be prepared to spend alot of money to keep it up and running. I owned one for about 3 months and spent more money on that gun than i have any other guns i have owned. These gun are cheaply made, lacking many accesories. The forend lacks the metal rod that connects the forend iron to the end of the forend wood that the older BT-99's have. I frequently had the forend fall off after shots until i had a local gun smith put in the metal rod. These guns also lack ejectors that kick the shell out of the gun like the older BT-99's have. These guns also lack adjustable combs as a nessecary option. If you want an adjustable comb it will cost you extra. What is the point of an adjustable rib gun if the comb is not adjustable? In my opinion you should look around for a nice gently used BT-99 plus. They are cheaper than a new gun and are well built. BYG

7. olddrum1

olddrum1 TS Member

I would actually look for a BT-99 Plus. It has the adjustable rib, cheek piece, and recoil supression system. I am not the expert here but you may find one here on occasion and have enough money left over for a couple of flats of shells to boot.

8. OLD ONE EYE

OLD ONE EYE Well-Known Member

I purchased a BT 99 as a back up gun to my Cole when it was sent back to be serviced by Bill Cole. They are so different in design and weight I was not sure if I made a good deceision but it was only a back up gun and I only paid 800.00 with a release trigger. I have shot the best scores I ever shot with my Cole so I wanted it serviced to like new. With the passing of Bill I sure am glad I did it when I did he will be missed by many as he was a wonderful person to deal with I wish I had met him personaly. The BT took a little time to adjust too but I was soon breaking scores as good as I have ever shot with it also I have the one with the Invector plus choke system with the larger bore barrel and ejector system made in the early 1990's I can not say enough about how good this gun is for the money. The next gun to consider is a Perazzi TM 1 they can be had for 1500.00 to 2000.00 and are wonderful SBT guns for the money.
    Buddy

9. jimrich60

jimrich60 Member

mr charles gives some good advice. If you like your XT now, you will find the BT99 different enough in stock feel, etc that you may not like the differences. The BT 99 is a fine gun in itself though (I have owned and shot several of them over the years and never had problem one with any of them, including the last one, a Golden Clays). But as mr charles notes, you would probably be better off in the long run by selling your current XT and getting the XT combo. That way you have botht the over/under and single barrel using the same stock with identical dimensions, settings, adjustments, etc. Might cost a little more, depending on what you can get for your current XT, but in the long run, would be worth the extra. While Brownings, in my opinion, are not in the class of Berettas, and certainly not on a par with higher end Kolars, Perazzis, etc, they certainly are excellent guns and will give you a long lifetime of service if taken care of. I know many shooters using the Brownings and none of them regret their choice.

Jim R

10. Jon Reitz

Jon Reitz Well-Known Member

JD,

I sent you a PM.

Jon Reitz

11. TURNKEY321

TURNKEY321 Member

I am in the same situation as you and I just found out that Guns Unlimited in Omaha, Ne is now selling an Un-single XT (not a combo). This is slightly different with a blued receiver. Price $2599.00 for monte carlo stock and $2799.00 with the adjustable stock. I am just waiting for a 34" with monte carlo, they are sold out of that model right now. Tim Vanecek

12. JD Jake

JD Jake Member

Thanks to all. If anyone else has comments I'd appreciate those too. JD

13. JD Jake

JD Jake Member

Tim,

How did you find out that Guns Unlimited is offering the unsingle? I noticed they don't have it advertized on their web site yet? I take it besides in a combo, they aren't offering a top single yet?

JD

14. TURNKEY321

TURNKEY321 Member

They had them at the Grand this year and a friend told me about them. I don't know why, but neither Browning or Guns Unlimited had them on their websites. I think that this gun will be a big seller. I just wish it had the hard-chrome or nickel receiver. Tim Vanecek

15. JD Jake

JD Jake Member

With regard to Beretta Young Gun's experience (above), I wonder if the BT-99 Grade 3 that is out is built any better? Or are all currently offered BT-99 models the same from a construction/quality standpoint?

JD

fcguth thanked this.
  16. jimrich60

jimrich60 Member

While the different grades and versions have different features, embellishments, etc (adjustable ribs, combs, different wood, engraving and so forth) they all start out life from the same forged and milled receivers, monoblocks, and barrels. I suspect the internals are pretty much the same also. The higher grades are better fitted and polished, but they are still mechanically identical, just different cosmetically.

Jim R

17. Francis Marion

Francis Marion Well-Known Member

JD, A couple of guys had the right answer. Dump the over/under and buy an XT combo. The BT99 in any form is a nice gun. I just don't think you would want to go from it to an XT and back. They are very different feeling. Also, as an XT combo owner who saw a Cynergy up close, I would stick with the XT.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.