1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.

BT-100 slug gun?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by a budine, Jun 3, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. a budine

a budine Member

In a local gun shop yesterday, I saw the strangest BT-100 ever. I asked about it - the previous owner, unnamed, had taken the rib off, mounted rifle sights, and was using it it for a deer gun - a 34" vented barrel. The wood (monte carlo style, with adj. pad) and the receiver metal was in excellent condition, trigger group nearly unmarked, just that God-awful ugly barrel. Would it be worth the $695. asking price to get it and have Browning make a new trap barrel?? Thanks for your input.

2. GW22

GW22 Active Member

That should be a felony.

-Gary

3. Johnny

Johnny Active Member

Sounds like a Jeff Foxworthy redneck joke.

4. porky

porky TS Member

Sent you a PM

5. a budine

a budine Member

Johnny - not a joke - I looked at this gun for minutes trying to figure out why someone would do that to a fine trap gun - but the proof was right there - even the dealer was amazed at something so foolish - just shook his head and said "Not everybody thinks too clearly" - looks like he has a point.

6. Johnny

Johnny Active Member

a budine, It may be an opportunity for a custom made rib. Browning won't sell a new barrel.

7. BJ99

BJ99 TS Member

why won't Browning sell a replacement barrel?

8. slayer

slayer Well-Known Member

Illegal gun to use in the woods, unless they made up some sort of safety. Why in god's name would someone do that? With all of the cheap singles out there??!! Amazingly stupid. Bill [Browning will not sell a replacement barrel for ANY of their single or dbl barrel trap guns]

9. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

I'm a bit confused, if he took the rib off, what 'venting' are you referring to? You mean porting?

As for "Illegal gun to use in the woods, unless they made up some sort of safety", is there a state that has a regulation that a gun must have a safety for hunting? While it is common sense, it is not a regulation here.

10. g7777777

g7777777 Active Member

The liability would be tremendous and it might even be criminal to take such a knowingly outrageous risk and indifference to human life as to hunt without a safety.

Regards from Iowa

Gene

11. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

Sounds like a perfect card or turkey shoot gun...

12. slayer

slayer Well-Known Member

your probably right, Brian about the lack of a safety not being illegal. I was conclusion jumping, there. I had often thought about taking the bt-99 pheasant hunting, but the lack of the safety stopped me. Confusing unsafe with illegal, I guess. Bill

13. Brian in Oregon

The only way he could possibly be safe would be to sit with an open action until a deer showed up. Whether he did or not, who knows? Absolutely an unsafe condition to be walking around with a chambered round and closed action.

I dunno what BT100s cost, but custom slug guns that are accurate can be pricey. Some slug gun hunters are almost fanatical about this. But most of these fanatics are shooting rifled bores with sabot slugs for maximum accuracy.

So I wonder if he really used it for deer hunting or if he decided to make a gun specifically for card and turkey shoots, and the shop owner misunderstood its purpose?

14. a budine

a budine Member

So far no one has commented on the price as I had asked - please let me know if the $695 is out of line for the action and stock - obviously the barrel will need attention - should I buy it? A couple others want to know where it is - will let them have at it if I can't get a clearer idea of its worth. Need a little help here, folks.

15. Johnny

Johnny Active Member

I wouldn't buy it.

16. jrb

jrb TS Member

It might be worth $300 to someone like me who has a satin 100 with straight stock...could use the gun for parts. Especially the stock and recoil system

j.R. Brock

17. Brian in Oregon

Offer less for it and use it as a card gun.

18. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Active Member

I'd find out from Browning how much they would charge to re-rib and re-blue the barrel to factory specs. Then offer the seller a amount so that you pay less than $1,200 for the gun with brownings prices, plus shipping both ways and just wait for the gun to come back if you really want to shoot trap with it. A nice BT-100 is getting hard to find these days in some parts. Good luck and break em all Jeff

19. yakimaman

yakimaman Well-Known Member

I'd offer $500 for it, I need the butt stock.

rm

20. Johnny

Johnny Active Member

If it were a car, it would be considered "totaled." I've seen rib work that caused the barrel to crack, wouldn't trust it. May be a deal for someone who has an extra barrel.