1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

BT-100 shooting to the right with beads aligned!

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by d_fixitman, Nov 9, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. d_fixitman

d_fixitman Member

Gentlemen,
    While shooting registered handicap I noticed that on some quarter right hand angles I was getting really nice dust ball breaks. Then I got in my head that maybe my gun was not shooting where I was pointing it. I know I should have patterned it when I bought it but didn't. On the pattern board at 13 yards I was getting center of hole 2 inches high and 2 inches to the right. This result came 8 straight times with none ever closer than 2 inches right of center. Through some minor comb adjustment I now am holding 2 inches high and dead center. My 30 yard pattern is nice and uniform with center of pattern about 65% high and centered left to right. With the slight comb adjustment my beads are now misaligned. Do I leave it and shoot this way or do I get a gunsmith move the mid bead? For now I am going to black out the middle bead and just go. Any thoughts? Is this typical of the BT-100? Many thanks in advance of any info you may have. D.Lewis

2. Dickgshot

Dickgshot Well-Known Member

I'll bet you're left handed.

3. Jennifer

Jennifer Member

You're not the first - I had a BT99 that shot 1-1/2 feet to the right (at 35 yards) with beads aligned! I ended up having to modify my comb so that it was 1/4" to the left for it to shoot center. I don't know what the cause was - maybe the bbl was bent? But once I got the comb adjusted it shot great, but with the beads misaligned. I used one of those glue-on uni-dot sights (fiberoptic sight inside a tunnel). I placed the sight right behind the front bead, with the back slightly angled to the left, toward my eye. I took the middle bead out and forgot about it. Won a lot of stuff with that gun once I got it dialed in. I suppose I could have tried bending the bbl but opted to change the stock instead. Good luck with whatever you decide to do! Jennifer

4. d_fixitman

d_fixitman Member

Nope, I am a right hander. Will most likely try the fiber optic sight option with using a marker and darkening my mid bead.

What is interesting is that on several quarter left angle I had loss after loss and was oblivious as to why. Each time my head stayed on the wood and I had good bead alignment.... I do know that it was certainly frustrating.

5. miketmx

miketmx Well-Known Member

A BT-100 has a pretty high rib about like a TMX and it can be easy to cant the gun if your stock does not fit or your method of gun mount has a problem. It is possible that the barrel is bent but not too likely. You can check this by putting a deprimed 12 ga empty in the chamber and a deprimed 20 ga empty in the muzzle end and hold the barrel up to a bright light source. You will see perfectly concentric rings if the barrel is straight. It is possible that a choke tube is misaligned. You can bench rest your barrel in the privacy of your backyard and look through the barrel with that deprimed 12 ga empty in the chamber at a Bullseye on the back fence and then without moving the barrel lift your head and Note the sight picture down the rib to see if the rib is aligned. I have filed down my middle bead to a tiny inconspicuous thing because I think the middle bead causes the bad habit of bead checking. I also use the Uni-Dot front bead to prevent occasional crossfiring on those left angle targets.

6. Jennifer

Jennifer Member

Yeah, frustrating is the word. I'm just glad I figured it out!

This is the sight I use (above). The bead is not big and obnoxious like some of the sights you see, and the green color works much better under lights at night than the red does (for me, anyway). The other side benefits of this sight is it's almost impossible to cross-fire (if you have an eye dominance issue) and also, if you lift your head, you'll know it, because the bead will disappear. Like I said, I had to tweak it to the side just a bit to line up with my eye but it worked great.

Take care,

Jennifer

7. sliverbulletexpress

sliverbulletexpress TS Member

Just remove the center bead.

8. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

If you are using the bead(s) as if they were sights then you are in for a lot of trouble. Ignore that center bead and just for fun try blacking out the front bead. You are on the right track about the stock adjustment.

9. phirel

phirel TS Member

D.Lewis- You checked the POI correctly, but just to make certain I suggest you do it again. Make sure you have a solid rest. Then make sure that the mid and front sight are in the proper location on the rib. If they are not, it is an easy fix.

If you actually have a barrel that shoots to the right, changing the middle or front sight will not help much. You can get the front sight moved to where it will shoot correctly only at a fixed yardage (much like regulating the barrels on a side by side). It would take an expert barrel person to set the front sight so that the gun shoots dead on at 40 yards. It will still shoot to the right at less than 40 yards and then to the left past 40 yards.

You could have a good barrel smith correct the barrel or work out the problem with adjustable chokes. There are only a few who are good at this.

Pat Ireland

10. Hoosier Daddy

Hoosier Daddy TS Member

If it is an invector plus choke tube model it might be wise to try a different tube in it. Sometimes the choke tubes cause a problem like that and a different one might cure the problem. Also I think Briley can bore you a choke tube that will change the point of impact to what you want if it is actually the barrel.

11. zzt

zzt Well-Known Member

D.Lewis, do all your choke tubes do this?

Do as Pat suggests. Set up on a bench and shoot for POI at short yardage (not more than 20 yards, 13-15 is better). Sight it just like it was a rifle. Try 5 shots with each choke and see if they all strike the same POI. More than likely they don't.

Say 3 out of 5 hit the same POI. Consider them good and discard the others. If you are centered left/right you are good to go and can order replacements for the bad tubes. If you are not centered left/right, you'll have to decide if you can live with it, or want the barrel fixed. It could be a bent barrel or the choke was machined off center and/or not on axis with the barrel. Good luck.

12. SMITH47

SMITH47 Member

i got a new gun with subgauge tubes about a year ago.
    went to the pattern board and it shot to the right and a little low.
    handed it to a fellow shooter and the same results.

i went to the pattern board when the club was closed so no distractions.

I followed Pat's procedure (he has posted it a few times previously)

and 50/50 with all three gauge tubes !!

It was me !!! not the gun...

ernie

13. Jennifer

Jennifer Member

Checking the choke tubes is a great suggestion, I had forgotten to mention that. I had a Browning Citori with a set of chokes, and one of them shot to the side of all the others. It's more common than you'd think...

14. sliverbulletexpress

sliverbulletexpress TS Member

Mid beads drilled off center is more common than you think too, and a little goes a long way.

15. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

I sent my new BT-100 to Browning in Morgan Utah about POI not being correct, they went through all of their guns in stock and could not find one in factory specs, this was when they first came out. After special ordering one from Japan I got one that was correct, I had Moneymaker put a different rib on it. I traded the gun off and Burlie Wilson has it, he won't sell it back to me.

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot

16. d_fixitman

d_fixitman Member

The BT has a fixed full choke. I was taking rest off of a solid mount using the same soft sight picture I would use as I normally shoot. My patterns were really consistent from shot to shot.

I am to try again tomorrow weather permitting.

I ordered the uni-dot Jennifer suggested which Midway had on clearance for $9.00. That with a little Sharpie marker work and several hundred rounds should let me know something.

Thanks all

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.