1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

BT-100 Problems

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Jvoorheis, Jun 22, 2013.

1. Jvoorheis

Jvoorheis Member

A friend purchased a used BT-100 at the Mason shoot . He had Keith Heeg look at the fit and installed a thinner butt pad. At the range he could not hit birds with it. I adjusted the gun to fit me and only got 4 of 25 birds. My ATA average is 92. Today I took it to the club and patterned it. With a figure 8 on the beads, the pattern is 80 percent below the aiming point. Would anyone have a suggestion as what to do. It has a fixed non-adjustable rib so I don't have any idea how to raise the pattern.

2. PatMiles

PatMiles Well-Known Member

If the gun has a four way adjustable comb your friend will have to raise the comb to get the POI he wants on the patterning board and then get used to seeing some rib between the beads. He will not be able to stack the beads due to the fact the rib is not adjustable.

Pat

3. dshot

dshot Member

If it has screw in chokes I would try another choke tube first.

4. GW22

GW22 Active Member

JV:

The above comments are right on.

Let me add this: It's probably the choke tube, but if it isn't then there is definitely something wrong with any BT-100 barrel which, when patterned correctly with quality trap loads (several shots on a rest), shoots 20/80 at 30-40 yards.

Here's why I say "definitely": This is a dedicated trap gun and a typical BT-100 factory rib is 0.3" lower at the muzzle than at it's rear. That designed-in slope creates a significant upward angle of the bore axis relative to the top plane of the rib. Stack the front bead on top of the middle bead in your sight picture and you increase that upward angle of the bore even further. This simple geometry absolutely guarantees that the pattern can not be 20/80 unless someting is wildly wrong with the barrel. Here are a couple possibilities for what that defect might be:

1) The barrel is bent, or is significantly distorted when at the temperature at which it was patterned. Look down the bore after it is well-cleaned and see if you see concentric circles when pointing it at a light. Look down the sides of the barrel from an acute angle and see if you see and bends. Does it look like the rib was re-soldered or replaced with an aftermarket one?

2) The threads for the choke tube, and the counterbore, were machined out of alignment with the bore (highly unlikely if the barrel is completely OEM, unmodified; more likely if an amateur added an aftermarket tube to a fixed choke barrel).

I suggest that you go pattern the gun again, very carefully, shooting several shots with the bbl on a rest with both the first choke tube and then a new one.

-Gary

5. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

Not an unusual problem with early BT-100's!!

6. MNGuns

MNGuns Member

Details please...

7. slickhead

slickhead Active Member

Early models shot flat. About 50/50 60/40

8. GW22

GW22 Active Member

FWIW, I've owned three, of various vintages, and none shot that flat. In any case, the 20/80 mentioned by the OP is a heck of a lot worse than flat.

-Gary

9. shotgunpeople

shotgunpeople Active Member

By the time I got mine to sootball targets, I had made taller comb stems, and raised it a total of .562" (9/16"). To compensate for the huge spread between the beads that was distracting to me I added a small piece of delron to the rear of my rib. When I mount the gun, the front bead sits on top of this little rib addition and it looks as though there is a full rib there.

Here is what it looks like now with a 100% high pattern.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. Hookedonshooting

Hookedonshooting TS Member

Mu bt100 lasted all of a week in my hands. It shot flatter than a pancake. Same thing as the bt stainless I had. Unless the barrel is bent like said above , would raise the comb or get a stock that is adjustable. U will not be able to figure 8 the beads. Once you get the comb up, consider taking the mid bead out if it drives u bonkers seeing space between them.

11. GunDr

GunDr Well-Known Member

While I was at Kolar Arms, the BT-100 came out. When the new gun owners showed up with complaints of not shooting well, we went into the patterning room.

It seemed to be a hit and miss on the POIs. I ended up sending at least six of the guns back to the factory because they shot too low...30/70 (6" low at 40yds)

Browning replaced the guns. One of the replaements had to be sent back because it too, shot too low. Browning replaced it.

Just a note...All of the guns were POI checked from a solid rest with the beads in a figure 8. The patterns were also sent with the guns.

Doug

12. Jvoorheis

Jvoorheis Member

Thanks for the feedback. I'll have him try a different choke tube, but really doubt that is it. Sounds like a BT100 problem. I'll suggest he call Browning to see if they will fix it. I'm glad he bought it instead of me. I was going to buy it from him until I shot it. I wouldn't want to have to shoot with a real high comb and not see a figure 8 on the beads.

13. Hookedonshooting

Hookedonshooting TS Member

I understand. Im used to the space between my beads on my M12s.

14. shotgunpeople

shotgunpeople Active Member

I might add to my previous thread that I bought my Stainless for a song. The first owner couldn't get a good score with it, the second owner was a GAH champion who could not hit a good score. The third owner had trouble with consistant scores and I bought this beauty, with an Allem Release in it for a song.

It took a lot of experimenting, but the real fix was having Terry Jordan explain how to truely arrive at the point of Impact with a gun. Terry and his wife spent a couple of days at our home in South Carolina, and we took in a shoot at our local club. During that time he gave us some real hard and fast pointers.

Some will not agree with his method, but I am a true believer. All you need is someone who can "Read the Breaks". My gun now hits harder than any I have ever owned. I think any gun can be set using Terry's suggestion.

Terry told me to set the trap on straight away targets. Begin shooting at these straight aways, and either you, or someone behind you read the breaks..If you are hitting left or right, reset your comb accordingly so it hits them in the middle. Now begin shooting at the targets,and keep raising your comb until you are consistantly shooting either over the target, or hitting the top of them. Then begin lowering the comb until you make ink spots out of the targets consistantly. Set the comb in that position and leave it there.

Now this suggestion worked wonders for my wife and me. As I said, some may disagree but this method worked great for us...Scores climbed way beyond our highest expectations.

At this stage with your gun, take all the suggestions you can.

Dave in SC

15. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

My first BT-100 Stainless shot low and the rep for Browning on Missouri told me none NONE of the BT-100s shot to specs, he sent me their highest shooting one and I sent it to money Maker to get it to shoot to my specs w/a new rib. Had release installed and shot the hell out of it sorry thing is I traded it off for a Perazzi MX-15

This gun is now owned by the former manager of Missouri Gun Club at Lynn Creek
    and he won't part with it, I tried to buy it back from him, I also shot a pot shoot at his home Burlie Wilson.

It shot 100%+ high with the Moneymaker Fixed rib.

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot

16. ImpalaBob

ImpalaBob Member

Add layers of mole skin (pharmacy purchase) to the top of the comb .... or get an adjustable comb put in (which is what I did).

17. hejumper

hejumper Member

I just puchased a BT100 and was very surprised to see it pattern 50/50 at 36 yeards. I have to raise the comb quite a bit and spread the beads which I don't like to do. Even though I didn't purchase this gun new will Browning help resolve the problem? I had also bought a BT99 at the same time that patterns approx 75/25 at the same distance with the beads stacked, very nice.

18. mich746

mich746 Member

OK, you asked for suggestions so here goes:

Read and follow Neil Winston's paper on POI.
    Other people telling you how there gun shot is worthless, making adjustment before you KNOW how the gun is shooting is silly. Reading breaks is not definitive.

Read the paper, follow the instructions and I'm confident your problem will be solved. At the very least you will KNOW how the gun is shooting for YOU and how to correct it.

Search POI and you will find it.

19. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

Browning is often reluctant to work on discontinued items. Any barrel work or release triggers voids any warranty. Briley will make an eccentric tube that'll make it shoot where you want!!

Search tags for this page
browning bt 100 problems
bt 100 problems
bt100 point of impact change
bt100 problems
problems with bt100

problems with older bt-100 brownings

with beads figured eighted on bt 99 what is point of empact