1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

BT-100 or XT O/U

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by bigclown, Mar 30, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bigclown

bigclown TS Member

Comments/opinions appreciated: Currently shooting a 32" Browning XT w/aftermarket adjustable comb & generally do okay, but sometimes inconsistent. Seems like I shoot it better at handicap than 16s. (Shoot the top barrel w/IMP MOD and bottom barrel w/Full for handicap.) Looking at going to a 34" BT-100, but have not owned/shot a single barrel. Any words of wisdom? Best Regards, Ed

2. slickhead

slickhead Active Member

In my opinion the BT 100 is as good as you can get. It is a fine single barrel. I would also say that if you are shooting the stock invector plus tubes they are JUNK--- order you some after market tubes. ( BRILEY, ANGLEPORT). Believe me they are better then the stock browning tubes. IMHO

3. bigclown

bigclown TS Member

Both comments appreciated. Re: slickhead's advice re: aftermarket chokes, come to think of it I am shooting a Browning Inv+ that came with the gun for singles, but a Briley full which I bought at the Grand for handicap. It certainly seems to hit targets more effectively. Any others? Ed

4. slickhead

slickhead Active Member

Go with a I.M. aftermarket you can tell it does do a better job. Also good for handicap depending on your yardage. Like I said the Browning factory tubes are JUNK. IMHO

5. ec90t

ec90t Guest

Ed,

I have shot both guns you are descibing a lot. I had the same cyndrome going on and finaly found the reason for it. The 32" XT was slow to swing(for me) and I had a hard time catching the angles. I then dropped it like a bad habbit for the same thing in 30" barrels. Much livlier swinging gun without any performance lost!

I started shooting a BT 100 during this and found it much quicker to the point than either XT. But in kind, it was a lot easier to over swing than the XT. Going back and forth will drive you nuts until you get used to it.

If I could buy an XT with unported barrels, I would have another in a hart beat.

6. BMC

BMC Member

Tuna, I own both. I had the BT-100 first. Its has all the bells and whistles and I shot it good. Sweet shooting gun. Fixed full choke. I bought an XT 32" for doubles only. Had the comb and buttplate done, etc. Next thing I know I'm handing the BT-100 to my son and now I shoot the XT for everything. Top barrel for singles, caps and bottom first in doubles. Briley IC in the bottom and full in the top. I will agree with other posters in regard to chokes. Mine does better with the Brileys. And I too don't shoot the bottom barrel as well as the top, which is why I shoot the top.
    Now that I got off course a bit, I'll get back to what I wanted to say. The reason I stopped using my BT100 and switched to using the XT for everything is that after shooting the XT, my BT was just too light and whippy. I started overshooting too many targets. The BT was just not heavy enough for me. My son shoots it now and does pretty good with it. I'd never sell it. Great gun, but the XT is the gun that works for me.

7. bigclown

bigclown TS Member

Thanks to all who replied. I really appreciate your sound and experienced comments. For the time being, I will 1. "check the chokes" I have...maybe acquire another Briley; 2. try a 30" barrel XT; 3. possibly look around for a BT-100 to try - a couple of friends in our trap league have them. Best Regards, Ed

8. rrose

rrose TS Member

I also have an XT and love it. I suggest you try a Comp N Choke. I used Briley extended choke and it did pattern better than the stock tubes but my new Comp N choke patterns better than the Briley and I can also tell a difference in how much better I smoke tagets as opposed to breaking them.

9. bigclown

bigclown TS Member

Thanks...Comp N Chokes have a great reputation. Best Regards, Ed

10. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

The Browning tubes, though made by Briley, are made to Browning specs. They are made to not be damaged by steel shot. The constrictions and the markings on the chokes may not match up.

I have really come to appreciate my bore matched Angleport chokes. They are truly superior products!

Mike your bores, and have a set made by Ballistic Specialties. INV+ bores can vary from .735" to .740", depending on the model of gun and barrel contour.

Angleport's default choke for the INV+ is for the .740 bore. My Cynergy Sporter has .735 bores. With the factory Browning tubes, tight chokes gave lackluster breaks. With the Angleports, WOW!!!

11. flyfishinfool

flyfishinfool TS Member

I bought a DT10 combo with a 30" O/U and a 34" top single. I couldn't shoot the 34" single worth a darn. Several folks have told me that 4" difference is too much adjusting to get used to. Perhaps that is why some of the top shooters using a DT10 combo have the 32" O/U and the 34" single barrel

So, I sold the 34" single barrel and just used the 30" O/U for everything and I am shooting it about as well or better than I have any gun.

But it looks short in a rack. So, last weekend I tried out a 34" top single 682X. You know. A male thing. Just didn't like having the shortest barrel in the rack. Well, I couldn't hit crap with it.

I am telling you all of this to make a point. There is nothing in the rule books that say you have to shoot a single barrel for 16 yard or handicap.

I would suggest that you shoot your O/U for everything and use the money you saved on not buying a single barrel to buy shells and attend a workshop.

Money better spent. Plus, it's just 1 less gun you have to clean.

Dan

12. Nutnbutsmoke

Nutnbutsmoke Member

I recently purchased a BT100 with factory custom thumb hole stock and I like it very much, there was only a limited amount of them made but they are very nice. At first a lot of the guys at the club scoffed at the thumb hole stock until they tried it. I find it very comfortable to shoot and it allows me to use my wrist etc to keep the gun tight to my face etc. May take a little looking to find one but they are wourth it. also they made a run of them in all blued and a run of them in all stainless with the thumb hole stock. interested in pictures of one send me an email and I can send you some of mine.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.