1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

BT-100 or 90-T

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by James.c, Aug 9, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. James.c

James.c Member

I have been looking at a couple guns and i need some input. both guns aare great and of the same quality. could someone please give me some advice

2. racer

racer TS Member

90-T is tough to beat with a fixed choke barrel. Always seemed heavier than the 100. Never compared published weights

3. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

To even compare a 90T and a BT-100 as the same build quality is quite an insult to the guys at Kolar (They built the guns for Remington). One 90T will outlast a dozen BT's.

That all aside, the dynamics of the two are quite different. You'll have to shoot both to see which one works best for you.

ss

4. James.c

James.c Member

I'm very sorry that I offended Kolar. LOL. I havae heard that the 90-t are very well built. that being said i also saw one have the locking block on the barrel fall of the other day on the line. ironically. the man shooting it then handed his gun to his daughter and pick up her bt-100.LOL

James.C

5. RAScott

RAScott Member

was at the club saturday and a friends BT 100 wouldnt open. it had a spent shell and he was on his home to take the stock off.

Bob S

6. James.c

James.c Member

Hate to hear things like that.

James.C

7. trapman69

trapman69 Member

The BT100 is a fine gun. BUT it doesn't compare to a 90T and yes I have owned both. The 90T is in safe. Tom R

8. 221

221 Banned User Banned TS Supporters

RAS.... there is a small spring in the trigger that has a habit of losing a coil and it will lock a BT-100 up tight. Take the trigger out and it will probably open......what ever he does tell him not to force it.

BT 100 vs 90T ....I have a couple of each. The 90T is the better of the two, but a BT-100 will out shoot most of us and is around 1/2 to 2/3 the price.

American made 90T's are as good as they get.....to replace one today with what is available will cost 5000,00+.

9. DENNISMASTROLIA1

DENNISMASTROLIA1 Active Member

I have had them both and the two of them are excellent guns--The 90T-get the high adjustable rib--if you can find one. The BT99 is also a great shooter--The 90T moves effortlessly and will last a life time.Great service if ever needed from the Kolar folks. The BT99-service from some independent gun smith-which is O.K as they all know how to work on them. BT99 is like a good Chevrolet---The 90T is like a good Cadillac.The 90T is a step up.

10. TCFelty

TCFelty Member

I have owned both as well. Both are fine guns. The 90-T is a heavy built gun that will last a lifetime. Its like anything you have to go with what fits you best and you shoot the best. I personally shoot the 90-T best and have a Browning Citori XT unsingle for sale at this time. I want to perchase a 90-T after the sale of this Browning. I just do not shoot a Browning very well. Take care and good luck!!

11. spitter

spitter Well-Known Member TS Supporters

The BT100 was not a great seller, but the folks who shoot them seem very satisfied. I started with BT99s - still have a couple, but my first 90T was a lightly used fixed rib and my current shooter is a nicely used HPAR. The 100 and 90T both have drop-out triggers. The 100 can eject or extract.

90T gets the edge in weight. Overbuilt, original guns were fixed choke, unported - although Kolar choked and ported some as an option, but be wary as Kolar had their own chokes and porting. Look for a gun that hasn't been too "molested" up by its previous owner(s)! (took me a couple of years to find really clean guns, owned by 1-2 people at most).

Kolar and the GunDr (Doug Braker, former Kolar guy) support the 90T. Doug has been my go-to guy updating my guns...

Buy the cleanest gun you can find, there will always be another gun for sale... Personally, I continue to shoot the 90T because of its weight, low felt recoil and its built like a brick $hithouse.

regards,

Jay

12. 1oldtimer

1oldtimer TS Member

If the 90T is so great,Why do nearly no top shooters shoot them? CED

13. trapman69

trapman69 Member

What do the top shooters shoot? I bet they don't all shoot the Bt100 either. Anyone know what they shoot and how do you determine the best shooter. Then when you get into that discussion its just like golf or anyother sport. You think there the top shooters because of what they shoot! That's a joke. Is Phil or tiger who they are because of what clubs they hit. The question is which is the better gun The Bt100 or the 90T answer in my opinion The 90T. TR

14. shoot for ever

shoot for ever Member

the top shoots want combos all so but i love my 90-t. had it two years

15. schutzemgud

schutzemgud TS Member

The 90T hands down best choice. Not even a fair comparison. It is built to last, It can extract or eject your choice. Very easy to switch. GunDr helped me on the phone to set mine to extract. I reload so I extract. Accurate, reliable, strong, removable trigger and just powders targets. I've been lucky enough to shoot 2 100 straights in ATA competitions and both were with my 90T. IMHO and biased opinion (based on experience) the 90T cannot be surpassed. I do like the Bt100 but it is not built like a 90T. Kolar really built a great gun. Mine has the Kolar chokes and factory 745 bore. Awesome. Virtually no recoil. Yes I do like it. :)

Mike Sudz

PS: easy to clean trigger cavity as the sideplates come off and you can clean it inside with no hard work.

16. James.c

James.c Member

17. Luckyman

Luckyman Active Member

I have no complaints with my BT-100....O problems with well over 10,000 rounds through it...I agree it's not has heavy as the 90-T but it seems to be just as reliable and well built....Can't go wrong with either gun...The 90-T also can be had with a High Rib Adjustable which is a plus...

A high rib adjustable 90-T in nice condition will run you around $2,400 + a low rib runs around $1,800 from what I have seen...BT-100's will range anywhere from $1,400 to $2,000 depending on if it's SS, Adjustable Removable Trigger Group, etc. etc.

18. Chris

Chris TS Member

I currently own both. I think either one you choose to shoot, will serve you well. I have a little more money in the 90T but I think both will serve you well. Try them both and then decide.

If money wasn't a factor then I would buy the 90T. If money is a factor then I would buy the BT 100. If service is a factor then I would buy the 90T and have either Kolar or the Gun Doctor work on it. Brownings service just plain sucks!

Honestly I shoot them both the same!

Good luck in your search!

Chris

19. grunt

grunt TS Supporters TS Supporters

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.