1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

BT 100 Not Firing

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by shippankid, Dec 9, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. shippankid

shippankid TS Member

I've got a BT 100 that I've put two new firing pins and springs in and the pin is still not striking the primer hard enough to fire. Can anyone address why. I have tried using different triggers from other shotguns but no success. So it seems to not be the trigger!

2. slayer

slayer Well-Known Member

factory shells?

3. shippankid

shippankid TS Member

Both, I load my own and buy target loads also.

4. shotgunpeople

shotgunpeople Active Member

Reach in and push the pin forward with your finger...Should be out about .055" if memory serves me correctly....If it's coming out taht far, I don't have an answer.

5. Frank C

Frank C Well-Known Member

Could be gunk between shoulder of firing pin and bottom of hole, not allowing enough forward travel!

6. Straight50

Straight50 Member

What Frank said! Had a similar problem. Turned out to be "carbon" build up in the firing pin hole. I measured a new firing pin and the old one and compared measurements. They were the same, so I determined it had to be something else. It was. Carbon! Remove the firing pin retention pin with a small punch and remove the firing pin and spring. Clean the breach face of the receiver and apply a piece of masking tape over the firing pin hole. Then turn the receiver breach down in a coffee can or something similar and fill the firing pin retaining hole with Hoppees or a comparable solvent. Let it soak an hour of so, and then swab the hole from the backside with a pipe cleaner or some type of small bristle brush. A primer pocket brush works well. It took several repetitions before I got it clean.
    I was surprised with all the crud that came out of there. No more problems since.

7. BT-100dc

BT-100dc Active Member

I've used a small drop (a pin oiler) of lock-eze in the firing pin hole. Never had a issue with the firing pin. It's thin and leaves behind graphite which also keeps the monobloc from wearing an oval-shaped firing pin hole. BT100dc

8. shotgunner50

shotgunner50 Member

I have a BT 100 Stainless that I purchased new and have always had trouble with Federal shells or reloads with Federal primers. I finally purchased a spring and firing pin kit on Trapshooters from Jim Flynn and it has helped. If yours is like mine the firing pin hole is not exactly centered in the reciever and thus the problem with the Federal rounded primers. Hope this helps.
    M Taylor Shotgunner 50

9. shippankid

shippankid TS Member

Thanks for the input. After trying the many solutions offered, I swapped triggers from a different 100. the result was in the affirmative. It appears i've probably got a weak spring on the hammer.

10. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

With the trigger out their is a slot in the hammer where the hammer spring and pin slide in a groove, is the ball still on this pin that slides in the groove?

Is the groove dry and no grease in it?

If ball is still on this pin put a dab of grease in the groove and try it,

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.