1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

BT 100 not cocking reliably

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by robertb, Jul 9, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. robertb

robertb TS Member

Need help w/BT100.Every fifth or sixth shoot,the gun wont cock the hammer.I may have to open and close it twice to get the hammer to cock.The forend iron,Cocking rod and linkage appear normal.What might be at issue?Send PM or post if you can shed some light on this.
    Bob

2. robertb

robertb TS Member

3. Hoosier Daddy

Hoosier Daddy TS Member

Maybe your not breaking it all the way down occasionally?

4. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

Assuming you are completely opening the action, first, check the trigger return spring to make sure it pushes the trigger forward. If so, take the stock off, degrease, blow out with compressed air, and properly lube action/frame before you do anything else.

If this does not fix the problem, get back to us. These guns go for a long time between repairs. Does your gun have a ton of miles on it?

5. Psycho

Psycho TS Member

Worn cocking rod.

6. robertb

robertb TS Member

thanks one and all for the benefits of your wisdom.I'll more carefully clean and measure the parts involved in the cocking mechanism and cocking linkage.
    Bob

7. flybyknight

flybyknight Member

Did it use to cock reliably? If not, there is an adjustment on the trigger assembly, right at the front, that can affect the cocking. I've found that not all trigger assemblies work in all 100s. That forward adjustment is the key to getting them to cock reliably. Unless you're pretty good with triggers, have a gunsmith do the adjustment. Bob K

8. stilltrying

stilltrying Member

It is not about cleaning. I believe it is the chargebar which is causing the problem. If you open the gun SLOWLY and it does not cock and then you open it FAST and it cocks the charge bar is too short . Take the barrel off the receiver and the trigger assembly out. Look down from the top and you will see a 2 inch? The bar is held in with a set screw and cocks the hammer. It is now probably too short. Order a new one from browning they are only a few dollars, get a few springs, firing pins, top lever springs they are all cheap and since you have to paid a flat rate for shipping get your money's worth. Other then an allen wrench, a nail ,screw driver and hammer is all you need to fix most things that break on a browning. Oh, I had this same problem... Psycho is right....

9. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

A HAMMER? LOL

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.